It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Burr on both sides
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

You guys are making my head hurt :-).

I think I need to go cut some onions and put that hardness and carbide distribution to work!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:26 am 

LOL,
Ok I just finished 6 hours of sharpening and this happened about 3 times tonight. I am now convinced it is a pressure issue, I'm obviously applying more pressure on the right side, with the edge facing me. So I concentrated on that and it definitely helped.

So pressure is the culprit, yet another lesson learned thanks to my learned friends here.

thanks folks, I learned a lot here in this thread.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:48 am 

And please don't ever perform six hours of sharpening again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:32 am 

Six hours was too much, I had a supper break in between and I didn't even get all the knives done actually.
I have a full time military career (until Apr 14) so it's pretty much right down into the sharpening labratory as soon as I get home and then going at it until I'm either finished or just done for the night. (I have a very understanding wife thankfully)

The weird thing is, after the 6 hours I was pretty tired of sharpening but this morning, all I can think about is getting back at the next batch tonight.

(My Atoma 140 is almost worn out though, so they do actually wear out. It is completely smooth in the middle now but is still going, what an amazing product that has been).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:05 pm 

Hi Peter,

If you are getting through Atomas' that fast, maybe its time to get a long belt grinder for the initial grinding. Lots of people on the board could advise on the perticulars of that.

On the other hand, I've worn out an DMT XXC, admittedly not as long lasting as the Atoma, and could swear the Bamboo 150 not only cut faster than it, but also out lasted it by a large margin.

If you are against belts for the initial grind, perhaps getting one of those Bamboo 60 grit stones followed up by the 150 would give you something fast and long lasting.

Disclamer :) - I dont have a Bamboo 60, only seen it in vids....... but it looks like a beast :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

I usually only do 1 knife per session, otherwise I start to loose concentration.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:23 pm 

Branwell, thanks for the reply. The 140 Atoma actually lasted a very long time, I use it for hundreds of knives and flattening.
I'm going to try the Atoma 400 next.
I have the Nubatama Bamboo 150 and also use that quite a bit, I agree, it is a great stone, develops a burr quite rapidly.

I have a belt sander as well that I use mostly for repair work, I tend to agree that it would be very handy and efficient to do some of the heavy lifting and save wear and tear on the stones/plates. It is something I plan to try and fit into my routine.
pete

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2