It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:38 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mac Nakiri
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:39 pm 

does anyone know what the bevel angle on this knife is? I want to resharpen it soon and I was trying to figure it out so i can dial it in. I use both regular stones and an edge pro depending. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Mac Nakiri
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:55 am 
Forum Moderator

Taken from the website: "Mac Knives feature razor sharp edges sharpened at 15 degrees vs 20 degrees for most other leading brands."

From the factory they will tell you it's 15 degrees more than likely, but it will probably be slightly off. Anything in between 15 and 20 is good for these knives.

If you want to match the factory edge you can simply do the sharpie trick. Color your entire edge with a sharpie and start to sharpen a little bit. Notice where the marker has been abraded off and adjust your angle accordingly. I can tell you from experience that you are probably going to want to thin it just a hair, meaning sharpen it at a slightly lower angle than what was on there originally. I'd dare to say that if you put your edge pro on 15 degrees you will notice that it isn't quite hitting the edge but almost. Using your edge pro and a sharpie will give you pretty much the exact angle from the factory, although in most cases you should realize the guy at the factory was free-handing these things on a grinder, so it isn't going to be perfect.

Mark will tell you right away, and I agree, that you should not worry about angle "that" much. More or less sharpen the knife the way you would like to and see how the performance holds up. Rarely will factory bevels be exactly what they say they are, as well as do justice to the full performance capabilities of a blade.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:09 am 

Thank you for the expedient, eloquent response. I am shooting for something that will hold up for a decent amount of time and do razor sharp detail work as well. I was thinking something in the ballpark of 14 degrees might be nice. I do about 80-85 hours a week in a kitchen with brutal plastic boards.Thoughts?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Without getting crazy and putting a 5 degree bevel on both sides, I always recommend a knife be thinned until the edge starts to fail for optimal performance.

So, start at 14 degrees if you'd like. If it holds up, go down a couple degrees (I'm assuming you're using and EdgePro) each sharpening until you notice edge failure. Bring it back up a bit and that's the optimal angle for you and your knife.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]