It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:34 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Help choosing a set of stones
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:14 am 

Thanks for your help. I will be just getting those three stones, how long would it be best to soak them before use?
apart from size, is there a difference between the 1k nabatama ume large and medium stones?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:31 am 

I don't know re the size.

As to soaking, the Ume 1k and Bamboo 5k are pretty much splash and go. I just run the faucet over them for 15 seconds or so and they are ready to go. You can tell then they are ready when water stays pooled on top of them.

The 150 benefits from a 2 or three minute soak, especialy the first time you use it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:07 pm 

The 1k needs to be soaked as does the 150, the 5k can splash-n-go but benefits from a few minutes in water. All can be left permanently in water.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:48 pm 

Slice, the medium and large refers to the thickness of the stone. the large une is kinda bricket. I believe it's tooooo much for us.
Guys, I was wondering about the chosera. Are they that better than the nubatama? Based on price it seems they are.

Daniel!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:57 pm 

I'm not sure looking at cost will help you make a good decision about stone selection.

The thing is, stones have sets of attributes.
In no particular order, here are a few and by no means all, and these are just my words for them. There isn't an industry standard that I am aware of.

Hardness - Soft like chalk, hard like granite, and a wide range in-between.
Feel - Silky, sandy, glassy, skatey, draggy etc.
Feedback - How well can you feel the edge angle on the stone through all the "Feel".
Cutting speed - Fast, slow and everything in-between.
Setup time - Is the stone a splash and go or does it need a soak. Do you need to flatten it between each use?
Muddiness - Some stones have no mud at all, some can be virtually mud baths, and there are endless variations in-between and the mud itself has its own attributes.

How is this related to cost you might say?

Any of these attributes and combinations of attributes can be had in both cheap and expensive stones.

There are cheap hard stones and cheap soft stones.
There are expensive stones that cut very slowly, and expensive stones that cut very fast.
There are cheap stones that are very muddy and cheap stones that are virtually mud free.
There are expensive stones that last a long time and other that wont last but a few months depending on how much you use them.

You might be tempted to think that expensive stones possess more positive attributed than negative. Is that even possible?

If you are a pro sharpener and time is money, you might really value cutting speed and want a seriously fast stone. So fast is good right?

Well, if you are a sharpener that does it for pleasure, you might like a slow stone. Imagine sex being over is 2 seconds. I guess some people might like it, but......

You can see right out of the gate, something as fundamental as cutting speed has no universal right or wrong.

You might be tempted to think a stone that lasts a long time is good?
Well, stones that last a long time tend to not release much mud and if you like to play in the mud, you have a problem. Again, no universal right or wrong.

What about feel?
Same problem. Who is to say if sandy is better than silky? Who is to say draggy is better than glassy?

As you can see, there is so much personal and situational preference that cost simply cant be used as an indicator of well, anything but cost.

In my mind, one needs to learn ones own sharpening preferences and then through research and trial and error, find a best match. Of course, this is all great fun, because as your skills improve and you learn new techniques, the attribute set that that was right for you a month ago will change :)

The end result is this. Just dive in. Get some stones. Sharpen a bunch. Develop your skills. Buy lots of stones.... and Mark will buy a new Ferrari.... his old one is looking a little ragged :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:48 am 

I would say the chosera stones are more consistent much like a diamond plate, although in the same respect they feel almost robotic with most every knife. The feedback is minimal, the speed is ok, and the 400 is simply not coarse, to me its more of a fast cutting 1k.

They are good stones but I wouldn't place them above the Nubatama stones. I believe they were designed to be used with chisels as with most hard stones and in my experience hard stones don't work as well with knives.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:57 pm 

Thanks guys.

Page 4 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4