It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:10 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Another cry for help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:01 pm 

Hi. I'm a newbie on the forum, but have lurked here before. I'm being treated to a gyuto by my wife and don't have a lot of experience with Japanese knives, although I've got several Sabatier, both carbons and stainless. In answer to the recommended questions, I'm left handed, looking for a 240 mm, prefer carbon but would go with stainless if it's the best option, wa handle, around $200-225 and I limit my sharpening to the cheaper knives in the drawer until I get better at it. I do have a 240 Richmond Artifex and a 210 Tojiro shirogami kurouchi, but I wouldn't want to disappoint my wife by not adding another knife. The problem is when I look at the menu on CKG I get about 20 knives that meet my criteria. Help, please.

Post subject: Re: Another cry for help
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:51 am 

Are you looking for something thinner and lighter or more mid weight, a work horse?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:16 am 

I think a mid weight, I'm a home cook so I'd think the weight is a bit less important.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:55 am 
Forum Moderator

Curt - can you list 5 knives out of those 20 that really ring your bell and why? Maybe we can help you home in on what really fit your needs/preferences.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:30 am 

Tanaka Sekiso 240 :D http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakagyuto1.html I'm also a lefty and I actually prefer the 'righty' D handles. The 'd' part fits right into the bend of my fingers. As far as the blade goes....thin beihind the edge, great edge retention, and fairly easy to sharpen. Also, its right in your price range. Its a forum favorite :)

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:51 am 
Forum Moderator

And one of my favorites! Richmond AS Laser is also a good choice, too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:22 am 

What about the Konosuke HD2 Wa-Gyuto Ho 240mm? It's 20 bucks above budget, but it's on discount atm and also a very much loved Gyuto. Steel is semi-stainless.

I love the looks of this one: Masakage Yuki Gyuto 240mm. Its a bit heavier, higher and longer compared to the Konosuke. Sells for $228. White #2 (carbon steel) core, stainless clad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

Another vote for the Yuki. I love the finish on this knife and white #2 is a great steel to sharpen. It's stainless clad so it's easy to care for and the handle is cool and different. I also give extra points to stuff that is hand made by a blacksmith so for me it hits all the right buttons. It's not super thin which some people prefer but it is down by the edge.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:41 pm 

Thank you for all the input. I'm going to spend a bit more time looking at the posted videos and descriptions- although part of the problem is everything looks great in the videos. I have done a quick look at some of the recommended knives and am a bit unsure if all of them are good for lefties. I'm afraid that the descriptions frequently don't say what the grind is ( i.e: 50/50) and I don't think trying to figure that out from the videos is the way to go. Let me add some preference info, I learned to cut with German style knives and am still working on my skills with knives without that belly. In the area of crass concern for appearance, I like kanji on the knife and knives with patina, although I wouldn't argue with a san-mai knife. Just curious, I loved the enthusiasm I saw in the Goko shirogami gyuto video, which is a 50/50 grind. Is that a consideration? In the end, performance will top appearance and I'll put my foolishness aside. Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Curt - the Masakage's are all 50/50 grind and edge. Also neutral handles. The Yuki has awesome chiseled Kanji on it and the edge will patina. It's an awesome knife - and a real looker.

Photos here: masakage-yuki-210-gyuoto-larger-pics-t2122.html

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next