It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:19 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for go-tos
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:53 pm 

First time caller, long time listener.

I'm looking for a knife (or maybe this needs to be divided up between two knives) that can essentially be my go-tos for daily prep at a high end restaurant. I need a knife(ves) that can brunoise garlic and dice kohlrabi. I want a knife that can do finesse work, but one that I don't feel terrible about chopping carrots with.

Here is where I'm at. I have two gyutos, one a 260 and one a 270. One is a UX10 that I bought 5-6 years ago which I have never really loved. The other is a custom that is made from 1095 carbon. I love that one to death and it takes an amazingly sharp edge...which is gone after two bunches of chives. This knife has largely shaped how I think about carbon such that know when I see a carbon knife I think that it'll get sharp, but not retain it. I also want this new knife to be shorter--thinking 190-210. I love long knives (clearly) but I don't want to try to be doing tip work with the tip 10 inches away.

My original thought was to get a santoku. I had always dismissed them as not really having a place in a professional kitchen, but figured that maybe this is exactly the type of scenario where it made sense. Was thinking about either:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hisakn19.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/richmond1.html

Then I thought that maybe I should get a 210 gyuto and am between these:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar21.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu21gy.html

Then thought may be best to get one of those and a new petty, and am deciding between:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riaosulape16.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rila18pe.html

So questions are:
1. Santoku vs smaller gyuto?
2. Which of these knives is best?
3. What else should I be looking at?
4. Does aogami super have edge retention on par with AEB-L? Is there another petty I should be looking at?

Also, the pre-requisites
1. Are you right handed? Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Gyuto, Petty, Santoku
3. What size knife are you looking for? 190-210
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Depends. Willing to do carbon if edge retention is on par with the stainless.
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Open to either.
6. How much did you want to spend? Ideally keeping knives under $150. This will not be a trophy knife. Pure functionality.
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Yes

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Looking for go-tos
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

TDuprey - I would hands down recommend the Kohetsu 210mm Gyuto from your list. You'll find a 210 Gyuto less limiting than a Santoku, even a longer model like a 180-190. That being said, the Kohetsu Santoku is a pretty compelling knife as well. I still think the Kohetsu 210 will be better for detailed tip work like Brunoise and it will have no issues with carrots - none :-).

The Kohetsu will just kill the Artifex 210, performance wise. The Artifex is nice, don't get me wrong, but the Kohetsu is in a different league. If you don't have the funds for a Gyuto like the Kohetsu plus a petty, skip the petty and get the better Gyuto - you'll be glad you did.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

I'm with Steve. The Kohetsu is a great knife and in that price range it currently blows everything else away. The heat treatment of the Aogami Super sets the knife apart. They are really hard and really thin and they take a great edge. If you think the 210 gyuto is a little big drop down to the santoku.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:56 am 
Forum Moderator

3rd for the Kohetsu. Performs on par with my Kono HD gyuto, maybe a hair better, though the Kono still had the factory edge when I tried it. Even does well on sweet potatoes and has awesome edge holding.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

I don't believe a Santoku tip is as versatile as a Gyuto's tip. Also, I think a 210 gyuto would be your best bet, I tend to steer people away from santokus unless it is either gift, or for a woman. I didn't just say that santokus were for women, that is not what I said at all, that would be wrong. ;) If you are going to go really small then just get a petty IMO.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:26 am 

I find that working with a petty to do fine work is actually harder than with a nice Gyuto. I would recommend the Kohetsu as well for its functionality.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]