It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Recommendation for 1st gyuto?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:16 pm 

Great thanks Adam.

Analysis paralysis is setting in--I have started looking at semi-stainless knives too, specifically the Konosuke HD2 Wa-Gyuto Ho 240mm, which was originally a little out of my price range, but seems to be a favorite among users of this site. Also the Konosuke HD2 Wa-Gyuto 240mm w/ Ebony handle, which is wayyy above what I initially wanted to spend, but damn it's pretty.

Any insight to the sharpness and edge retention for blades like these in comparison to the White #1's I mentioned before? Seems like people are pretty head over heels over the Konosukes...

Any other recommendations based on this (and the fact that I might be willing to spend over $200 for something I really love) would be awesome. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

At this point, we're going to be hunting for something specific.

There are several really fantastic knives out there. The HD2's are certainly among them.

The Kohetsu is a great stainless clad, carbon core, wa handled, laser knife.

The HD2 is a great mono steel, semi stainless, wa handled, laser knife

The Goko is a great KU finish, stainless clad, carbon core, wa handled, medium duty knife

The Masakage Yuki is a great.....

You probably should focus on some aspect you want, and find the best with that attribute. Without the budget to try them all....buy any of them that appeals to you the most.

As to your specific question....theoretically, white #1 takes about as fine of an edge as any steel on the cutlery market. HD2 and AS will hold that edge better. White #1, when properly HT'd is also among the easiest steels to sharpen. Neither AS or HD2 are difficult to sharpen though....typically. Although I have had issues with burr removal on AS....but not major pain in the ass issues like some really crappy stainless steels.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:31 pm 

Hi guys. Just took the plunge on a konosuke 240 hd2. Thanks for all the help narrowing down what I was looking for. All beautiful knives--I think this one will fit my needs perfectly!

Any tips with care or blade profiling with my edge pro shaptons would be icing on the cake!

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

You'll love that knife. No special care needed. I usually wash it with the tip pointing down so water runs away from the handle. Just wipe it dry after you wash it and don't worry about any minor stains it might get.

For sharpening I usually do about 10 degrees on each side but 15 per side would be fine as well. The factory edge seems to be somewhere in-between.

It's an easy knife to sharpen so just have at it.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

And if it does develop a water spot or such, use Flitz or Bar Keepers friend to remove said mark.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jonny - you're going to love the 240 HD :-). Excellent choice!

Regarding care - it's a true laser so be careful not to torque the blade during cuts or especially if it sticks to the board a little. No bones, no frozen foods, etc. Don't use the edge side to scrape or move product around on your board - use a board scraper or turn the knife over and use the spine side.

This son of a gun is going to be sharp - know where your edge is at all times. For example, don't lay the knife on your board with the edge pointing toward the middle or you could cut yourself while handling product etc. if you accidentally graze the edge. (Guess why I mentioned that specific example :-))

The HD2 steel is not stainless, it's semi-stainless, so don't let water/moisture sit too long on it. If you wipe it after your cutting chores and clean it when you're done, it will essentially behave as stainless.

On sharpening - if you have a strop or two, you can probably get away with stropping for a while before a real sharpening session is needed. The edge has a very small bevel because the knife is so thin, so it won't take much to sharpen it. Use your sharpie trick on the edge pro with a high grit dry stone and very light pressure to find the bevel angle and match it. You can probably start with a 1K stone for your first sharpening if you keep it in decent shape with a strop. Try to remove as little metal as possible and use light pressure on the EP. I like to cover most of the blade sides with blue painters tape 3/4 down to the edge to keep the EP sharpening process from scratching the blade.

Have fun and enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2