It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: I want to Step Up...but Where!?!?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:17 am 

I have recently graduated from German 5 star Henckels knives that I have used for years to
Massamoto VG 240mm Gyoto, and a Massamoto VG pairing knife.
I love the stainless steel ease of care, the sharpness, the quality of finish. Overall the Japanese knives have superior sharpness.

Now....I want more of the knife..a sharper knife....but I am not a fanatic ...and I do not want to spend more then 200$ dollars on my next purchase give or take a little.
So what is it that one knife that will blow me away ?

Let's say that I do a lot of vegetables, some sushi, and rarely some steak or bread.

Do I stay with a Gyoto or should I try another pairing knife, or perhaps a sunjiki ????

You have recommended Kohetsu, Konosuke, Goko, and some other small brand names previously.
For my purposes what would be the most performance, but least problematic knife????

A lazor razor that easily chips is what I originally tried to avoid by buying Massamoto VG10.

Post subject: Re: I want to Step Up...but Where!?!?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:21 am 

Or perhaps Nakiri???

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 am 

i would say get another gyuto. =D

but what are you looking for in a knife? what is your requirements?

carbon ok? semi stainless? stainless?

clad? mono steel?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:00 am 

1st choice is a 150 to 180 petty. You can get some really good ones for $200 or under. Getting something used gives you a better value, but there's something to be said for a new knife. The Misono UX10 150 looks like a great deal for a great knife. The Konosuke HD2 180 also looks good. I have that knife in the regular HD blade and love it.

2nd choice is a 240 to 270 sujihiki. You can get something good for $200, but don't know if it'll "blow you away".

3rd choice is a better gyuto, which you probably use 80% of the time. $200 is a little light for a knife that you want to "blow me away." Masamoto KS or Konosuke HD, or something in that neck of the woods.

What's wrong with your Masamoto VG, which is one of the few knives with VG10 steel done right. With proper sharpening it should blow you away; it's a great knife by most any standard.

Which leads to the question of sharpening. Where are you with that?

Last edited by mano on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

+1 to what Mano said! :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]