It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:23 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Recommendation for 1st gyuto?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:38 am 

Hello, I am interested in buying a 240mm gyuto, most likely something closer to the "laser" category than anything else.

I used to work in a professional kitchen, and have fairly good knife habits/skills. Along with a set of victorinox forged knives--which I bought for half off as a display item at bed bath and beyond and don't like using (too fat! not sharp! can't see anything!)--I own a henckels santoku that i bought on vacation in france and a shun 7" asian cooks knife.

Now I am in grad school and like to do as much cooking as I can. I have big hands and have been a little frustrated with my current knives' limited scooping ability, so I think I am looking for something with a fairly tall blade.

Aesthetically, I love the rustic, hammered look of the takeda classic and the goko (as well as their dark handles), but these are certainly not deal breakers if there is something else that I may be overlooking.

As far as functionality, I am definitely willing to trade some durability for razor sharpness and edge retention, since I have several other knives that I am ok with abusing... I want something that will put a smile on my face chopping onions, glide through tomatoes and flank steak, but also be precise enough to cut super-thin fresh tajarin pasta by hand.

The questions:

1. Are you right handed?
Yes

2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)
gyuto

3. What size knife are you looking for?
240mm

4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
i think at least something with a carbon edge, if not fully carbon

5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
japanese handle

6. How much did you want to spend?
hopefully less than $200

7. Do you know how to sharpen?
have in the past, just bought an edge pro apex with shapton glass stone inserts

I have done a bunch of research and have really been drawn to the takeda and the goko, although the takeda is a little steep for me price-wise. I also read that the bevel on certain hand-made knives may be too steep to be properly maintained by the edge pro apex without some sort of shim modification. Guidance on that would be great as well.

Any advice, recommendations, or anything else you can provide for someone looking for a knife to get them excited about cooking again (well, I can't say that I ever lost interest completely...) would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers,
Jonny

Post subject: Re: Recommendation for 1st gyuto?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:39 am 

The Goko has a great look to it. The steel will take an incredible edge and hold it reasonably well. I think you would be really happy with this knife but know that it is closer to a middle weight or workhorse than a laser but handles well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:29 am 

Thanks Jeff- I agree on the looks. Can you give an example of something in the same price range that it more laser-like?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

Kohetsu 240 Gyuto.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, the Kohetsu is more laser like for sure.

Otherwise the Goko is a favorite of mine....really like it. The Takeda is another...but well above your price point.

The EP will go down to 10 degrees.....more than shallow enough for a really sharp edge.

That said, it will not allow you to thin the knife when it needs it.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

The Kohetsu is made for you:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu24gy.html

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:17 pm 

I think a knife is a laser, or its not. Getting something "close to a laser" may be a compromise. So just get a laser, especially if youve never had one. The Kohetsu will give you a laser/carbon edge as well as razor sharpness and edge retention.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:09 pm 

Thanks everyone for the help! Can anyone explain the practical differences between the kohetsu and the goko? I am new to all this terminology and I guess don't fully understand the specific ways in which they would perform differently.

From my understanding, lasers generally are more prone to food sticking to the side of the knife. Would the same be true for the kohetsu? Much more so than the Goko? Would I have to worry about smacking the edge of the kohetsu on an end-grain butcher block when I am quickly chopping onions?

I realize it's hard to put some of this stuff into words. I wish we had a good japanese knife retailer here in Philly so I could try them for myself!

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Practical.....the Kohetsu is thinner throughout, weighs about 20% less, and has a nicer handle. The Goko is a couple mm's taller at the heel.

The Kohetsu is also more polished, but with the Goko that unfinished look is intentional.

The whole food sticking thing I can't really comment too much on. I'm a lowly home cook, and the issue of food sticking just doesn't ever mean enough to me to register. If someone asks me about a certain knife I can test it...but I don't routinely think about it enough to comment effectively. I used to...but not nearly as much any more....sorry.

Have to worry about smacking and end grain butcher block.....not with normal technique. More worry about scraping the edge across the board. Hard steel is brittle in tension more than compression. Straight up and down is normally fine....side to side is bad.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:15 pm 

jonnyg wrote:Would I have to worry about smacking the edge of the kohetsu on an end-grain butcher block when I am quickly chopping onions?

Does this guy look the least bit worried? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bZRdWu ... ata_player

Last edited by Los Altos on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next