It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for a knife recommendation
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

1. Are you right handed?
Yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in?
Gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for?
240mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
Much prefer stainless, open to carbon
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
Much prefer wa (like the look and lightness), open to yo
6. How much did you want to spend? $200
7. Do you know how to sharpen?
Yes

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for a knife recommendation
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Try this one as a good starter knife. It's really nice!
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kast24wa.html

It's stainless, affordabe and has excellent grinds and excellent fit and finish. The engraving is done by hand and it's beautiful. It's a great knife to learn to sharpen on too.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
www.chefKnivesToGo.com

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

The Kaneshige is a very pretty knife. However, it looks shorter than most, and I'm concerned with knuckle clearance. Also, scooping up veggies with my 7" Shun Santoku has been a pain so I've been very interested in the Addict 2 in AEB-L and like how tall and light the knife is. Could you tell me a bit more about the knife? I'm especially curious about the following:

1. Would you consider the Addict 2 to be relatively flat or have more belly?
2. Does the taller blade make it less agile?
3. With the Shun being the thinnest knife I've handled, I'm curious as to how flexible the Addict is and how little abuse it can take. I'm not cutting through the joints of a chicken with it but I do like to smash garlic under my palm and cut a pineapple or two.
4. It's ability to take an edge and retain it.
5. I'm a bit confused because I've read that the Gesshin Uraku is thinner than the Addict, but looking at the spine measurements of both knives, the Addict is thinner. Are people generally referring to the thinness of the blade behind the edge?

Thanks,

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

If you want a taller knife my addict would be a good choice but there are other cool ones that I like on the site that are hand made that I find very attractive.

If you're interested in a taller knife how about trying something that is stainless clad like the Goko 240 Gyuto?

I love that knife.

Sorry I can't comment on the Gesshin because I've never tried it. Jon knows his knives very well so I would guess it's real good. He picks nice stuff for his site.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

1. The only Addict currently in stock is the 52100 (carbon steel) version. It would be considered a fairly standard gyuto shape....not overly flat or over bellied.

2. Yes, to some degree....but in my home I don't draw huge preference for one design over the other as it pertains to profile. I have, and use, both narrow and wide gyuto's.

3. The Addict's that are made by Lamson (I swear I remember one made by Konosuke but can't find it right now) will not be as thin as the Shun.

4. Depends on which Addict you're talking about. The AEB-L and 52100 versions will take the sharpest edges....the CPM154 version will hold an edge better in theory (I am a home cook, so testing edge retention is not so easy for me to do...but CPM154 should keep an edge longer than the other two).

5. People are generally referring to overall thickness....not just the spine measurements. Having never seen the JKI knife you mentioned, I can't comment specifically though.

If I were you, wanting a stainless laser...I'd up my budget a bit and get:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/laser.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]