It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:01 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wicked Edge or Chosera Stones
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:48 pm 

So I can't make my mind up between the wicked edge or just biting the bullet and learning to freehand.

I need to decide between the WE pro pack II or Chosera 400, 1K, 3K, 5K + Tojiro Sink Bridge.

My question is which will eventually give me a better edge?

I'm assuming the learning curve with freehand is much slower than the WE although I am used to stropping freehand and have the handamerican strop kit. I do like the idea of not having to flatten my stones with the WE.

If I go down the freehand route, do you think my chosen kit is sufficient or would you recommend something else? Should I add the 10K Chosera or maybe a Japanese natural stone to the pack? Also what should I buy for flattening the stones?

In terms of knives to sharpen I have :

240 Konosuke Fujiyama white 2
180 Konosuke Ginsan Nakiri
240 Moritaka Yanagiba (it's 50/50) Aogami super

Any help would np be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Wicked Edge or Chosera Stones
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:59 pm 

Freehand sharpening gives you a lot more versatility. (i.e.)You will need to thin your knives at some point, can't do it or at least very difficult with the WE. The hardest part about freehand sharpening is getting over the fear, it's not that difficult. If you get good results with your strop you will have no problem freehanding. Unless the WE comes with diamond plates the stones will need to be flattened. The Chosera set you have selected will be a great set to get you started. The cheap 140 grit diamond plate is all you need to flatten stones.http://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html
You can always add stones later should you choose.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

Stone - +1 on what Jeff B. posted.

Choseras are great stones, but they are on the soft side, I believe. You might want to think about whether you want a set of stones like the Choseras, or Nubatamas (medium to hard, depending on models), or Shapton Pro/Glass (hard to very hard).

If you do a little digging in the sharpening forum there's lots of info on the merits of the different lines, etc. In a quick nutshell:

Hard stones like the Shaptons require more precision on your part and are less forgiving of sloppy technique, but they dish more slowly and the Shaptons are splash 'n go for quick setup.

Softer stones are preferred by some sharpeners. They typically dish more quickly and you can gouge the stone easily with improper technique since they're soft. They are usually not splash and go. Some require longer soaking times before use.

Medium stones like the Nubatama Ume 1K medium are, well, in the middle :-), having a combination of characteristics of hard and soft. They are more forgiving than hard stones, but are less likely to gouge than soft stones. They can be almost splash and go or require minimal soaking before use and they can develop more mud than hard stones. Some dish slowly, some more quickly.

Many people recommend starting on stones in the medium hardness range, but YMMV.

Mark carries a ton of great stones with a wide variety of characteristics. Ask away here and pick the brains of some awesome sharpeners (I'm not one of them - yet (I hope someday)).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:51 am 

Chosera stones are hard and slow wearing, the 400 is also not very coarse and takes a good amount of effort to set bevels or do damage repair. Though, if you are new to using any type of coarse stone its a good starting point because you won't be able to mess things up too bad :)

As for the rest of the stones I personally think the 3k and 5k are kinda redundant. The 5k cuts fast enough to easily make the jump from 1k even on a large single bevel but the 3k provides a better cutting edge and has better feedback. Though for single bevel (or in you case double) knives the 5k will produce a better contrast between hard and soft metals.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:42 am 

Thanks for the advice guys, well I think I'll go with the Chosera set, seems like a quality option and as I only have 3 knives that I use on a daily basis, I think they should last me a good while + quite a bit cheaper than the wicked edge and next to no set up time for quick touch ups except to soak them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:10 pm 

You do not soak the chosera stones.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:23 pm 

From Mark in the description of Chosera stones on CKTG,

"Naniwa claims these are splash-and-go stones, but users say that soaking for 15 minutes really brings out the best qualities of the sharpening matrix."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:50 pm 

I'll have to try that out.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]