It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Newsletter Recipes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

For you viewing convenience, all recipes that were featured in our newsletters will be added here. Enjoy! :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Post subject: Re: Newsletter Recipes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

'Veal or Chicken Piccata (with mushrooms)' by: Shaun Fernandez

This is a simple, nearly fool-proof, elegant, and tasty dish that was taught to me by my neighbor who lived 2 apartments away. His name was Paul. The man is Italian; eats, breathes, and lives it. Cooks and speaks with a calm grace that exudes experience and confidence. I was lucky enough to tag along with him on a catering gig one Christmas. This is when he showed me. (To be fair, he taught me w/o mushrooms)

I would like for you to notice here I am only using salt and pepper for spice, which are the only things I use 80% of the time... and I'm from Louisiana! Paul taught me to respect your ingredients.

To start, you'll need:

1) 2 chicken breasts or 1 lb of milk fed veal
2) 1/2 stick butter (salted or unsalted, just add more later)
3) 2 Tablespoons of Capers (and some of da' juice)
4) 1 small pack of Mushrooms (Buttons or Bella's)
5) 1/4 cup white wine
6) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
7) Salt and Pepper
8) 1 lemon
9) All purpose flour
10) Angel hair pasta
Optional: 1/4 cup Heavy cream

Start by getting 2 chicken breasts on your cutting board and your Chef's knife. Cut them into 3 pieces each. You can do this however you like; in strips or on the bias. I cut mine on a bias to get a flatter cut with more surface area. Pounding them flat is the original method here, and is where the name of the dish comes from. Cut your veal into thin slices if it isn't already, as well as your mushrooms.

Get a medium sauce pan and boil some water for your angel hair. Add the angel hair at any point when the water is ready... we're trusting you!

Next, get a small/medium bowl ready with 1 cup flour and place on the side. Salt and Pepper your chicken. Get a large saute pan with 4 tablespoons of Olive Oil, turned on to medium heat. Now, dredge the chicken in the flour to get a light coating all the way around. By the time you are finished this step, your oil should be ready to go!

Last, we need to add the wine to deglaze all that brown goodness in the pan. Reduce it until you don't smell alcohol anymore. Now add your butter and mushrooms. Juice 1/2 lemon into pan, 1 whole lemon if you like more. Add capers and some of da' juice. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook on medium until mushrooms have started wilting. Remove from heat and add heavy cream. (if you must. I always do!!)

Hopefully you didn't forget about your pasta while all this was going on! Place a small portion of pasta on the plate, followed with 2 nice medallions of chicken or veal stacked on the side and topped with a few spoons of that creamy, savory sauce. Garnish with some loosely chopped parsley and/or lemon slices. Enjoy!

If you have any recipes or cooking tips you'd like feature next month, contact us! We're more than happy to tackle your cooking problems and get you on your way to hosting great dinner parties and events. Good cutting, good eating, and gool living. Ciao!

Shaun Fernandez, editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

'Spicy Shrimp with Orange and Avocado Salad' by: Susan Brown

I make this dish for company all the time. It looks good, tastes great, and much of the prep can be done ahead of time. The original recipe is from 'Fine Cooking'. I added the green beans and made it spicier

To start, you'll need:

1) 2 navel oranges
2) 1 ripe avocado, cut into a medium dice
3) 1 & ½ pounds medium/large shrimp peeled and deveined
4) ⅓ cup sliced scallions, both white and green parts
5) ½ pound green beans
6) 1 cup white rice
7) 5 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil (that's EVOO to you restaurant people)
8) 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
9) 2-3 tsp. Tabasco sauce
10) ½ tsp. ground cumin
11) 2 tsp. Hungarian paprika
12) Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper

Preparation:

Start by rinsing your rice twice and cooking it in 1 ¾ cups boiling water and 1 tsp. salt for 20 minutes.

Next, peel and segment your oranges over a bowl to catch the juice. To make the salsa, cut the orange segments in half, crosswise, and return them to the bowl. Add 2 Tbs. of the Olive oil, ¾ tsp. salt, the avocado, the scallions, and the lime juice to the bowl. Toss it all together gently; you don't want to hurt your little avocados!

Now, turn on your grill to medium heat and start a medium pot of boiling water on the stove. Combine the remaining 3 Tbs. of Olive oil, 1 tsp. salt, the paprika, cumin, and Tabasco in a separate medium bowl. Pat your shrimp dry with a paper towel. Add the shrimp to the bowl and toss to coat.

Blanch the green beans in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, then place in an ice water bath to stop the cooking. Remove, strain, and dry with a towel. Season with salt and fresh cracked pepper.

Grill the shrimp for about 2 minutes on each side, or until done. The shrimp can also be prepared by broiling in the oven for about the same amount of time.

To serve, place a serving of rice on the bottom, followed by the green beans, the shrimp, and some salsa. Serves 4.

Susan Brown, Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

...aaaaaw gee, not one pic of a glass of rum...????????

:)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]