It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:05 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Upgrade my spyderco sharpmaker
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

I currently use the Spyderco Sharpmaker but I have noticed that the stones shift in their slots when I'm using it. Do you have a recommendation for a sharpening system (non-freehand, I don't think I am prepared for that) that is more reliable but not super expensive?

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Upgrade my spyderco sharpmaker
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

I encourage you to try free hand sharpening. It's way easier than you think.

But if you really want a good jig type device the Edge Pro is the best option and you can get into it cheaply. Try this:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edgeproapex1.html

You can also add more stones if you enjoy using it so getting the base set will get you rolling and it will do a really good job. Much better than your current set up.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:14 pm 

Freehand sharpening is not as difficult as you might think. Getting past the fear is the hardest part, it's kind of easy after that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:42 am 

I've only been sharpening for about a year...

I was able to get near factory new edges within an hour of practicing freehand.

Now I did have about 2-3 hours of youtube homework under my belt, but the learning curve is quick.

Getting to shaving sharp is a longer learning curve, but you won't want for kitchen level sharpness in the interim.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:41 pm 

The classic spyderco sharpmaker, ah yes. The best sharpening technique for that device is to go out to your driveway, place the unit behind the tire of your vehicle, turn on the ignition and hit reverse. Joking aside, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the sharpmaker since it was one of my first introductions to the world of making steel sharper many, many years ago. Other jigs/devices/machines came after that as well, along with the knowledge of their shortcomings. However, they still taught me lessons about bevel geometry, abrasives, etc. Now the only items that grace my workbench are water stones, couldn't imagine it any other way at this point, they've become some of my favorite items over the years.

Keep up the freehand practice and you'll find improvement each time you hit the stones. Plus they won't load up like the ceramic rods on that sharpmaker.

Josh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

As others have said....free hand is the best option and really isn't all that difficult to get good at. Mastering it (not required to get a sharp knife) is where us nuts scare people away. Don't be intimidated by us nuts....getting a sharp knife with two stone's is easy and doesn't require hours of sharpening per knife.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]