It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:11 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Tojiro no better than Wusthof for edge.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

RUSSEL <> I have to agree its your usage of the jig. I can't possibly fathom how 20 strokes on a 500 grit & 20 strokes on a 1k grit stick with basically zero pressure could sharpen a knife. I'm not one to count as feel is more telling, but maybe 80 strokes total... not 40.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:24 pm 

It took me a while to learn how to sharpen my Tojiro DP. That burr can be a pest at times and and takes just as long to get it off then to develop one. Not only do i do countless light passes on the current stone but then i drag it through some rubber. then I go zero pressure on the stone again. Then rubber then Felt. I Cut some paper Towel and inspect. If i dont see peices of towel im good. Anyway i was very discouraged at first but Different steels require different treatments. Do your self a favor and get some stones. These guys on here LOVE talking stones and will help you choose. It will change your life. Plus it super fun =)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

You know, his routine actually might work on soft steel like a Wusthof. Maybe that's why he was getting better results on it than the Tojiro....

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:48 pm 

I gotta mention the Sharpie trick too - it's really possible you're not hitting the very edge of the edge on your sharpmaker. If you colour the edge with Sharpie, make a few passes as usual on the rods, then look at the edge with magnification, you'll see where you're removing steel. I know the Tojiro will have a much narrower angle that your Wusthofs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:29 am 

In the time that I spent using the Sharpmaker last year, I found that it is wonderful for quick touch-ups, IF your edge angle is less than 40 degrees. Anywhere close to that, and it is very hard to sharpen. Even if you change the ceramics to the 30 degree side, it still will not remove enough metal for a re-profile. Harder steels will also make using the Sharpmaker more difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:50 pm 

I just sharpened a Yaxell Zen Santoku VG-10 with my Edge Pro. I used the following progression of chosera's; 400, 800, 2k, 3k, 5k, 10k. I did this two days ago and it got me a mirror finish. Also, it's crazy razor sharp and goes through meat and veggies with great ease. To see how well the VG-10 retains it's edge I try to shave a part of my arm before and after cutting duty. If the knife keeps this up then I'm gonna need to shave my other arm and legs ass well be fore it runs out of it's razor egde.

I don't think just honing it with a rod is giving you the edge you're expecting. You need to get yourself some stones. Not the works maybe, just a set of three, preferably 400/500, 1k, 2k. This can get the edge of that Tojiro up to your expected standards.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:52 am 
Forum Moderator

I think the comments on this thread are excellent and spot on (accurate). I'd suggest just taking down the edge completely by grinding off the edge with a FEW strokes perpendicular to the stone and starting over to eliminate the possibility of dealing with some sort of burr or wire edge. VG10 doesn't do well at very acute angles so 15 degrees per side will give you optimal results for most applications. Completely reforming the edge also gets you into less brittle steel on the knife in some instances.

---
Ken

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2