It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: just tried my shapton glass stone set..........
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:01 pm 

:shock: :o :shock: :( :shock: :o

wow, I have not tried many stones but I re-proflied my one pocket knife that i carry every day, it is ZDP-189

it had some chips in it (small)

I started with the 220 and i was already able to cut paper cleanly !! I could never do that with the stock stones

I move to the 320 and i was able to push cut paper from about 1/4 inch out :o :o :o

I took this kife all the way, 500 > 1000 > 2000 > 4000 > 8000 > 16000 > .25 micron on strop (nano cloth)

this is the sharpest knife i have ever done.

The ZDP cut like butter and burs where so easy to get off with these stones

when i look close i do see more scratches in the mirror finsh but i think this will just take some practice to get get cleaner

I should also say it took about 1/4 the time as it use too !!!

do you guys leave the slurry on these to get best result (for mirror finsh) or leave it off?

Last edited by turbo v6 camaro on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: just tried my shapton glass stone set..........
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:22 pm 

I don't think you want to use the 8k loaded up, clean it with water and a paper towel. A loaded stone will leave scratches in your mirror polish.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:23 pm 

erikz wrote:I don't think you want to use the 8k loaded up, clean it with water and a paper towel. A loaded stone will leave scratches in your mirror polish.

I forgot i have the 16K also

I was spraying the stone off at every turn of the knife if not more so

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:32 pm 

turbo v6 camaro wrote:
erikz wrote:I don't think you want to use the 8k loaded up, clean it with water and a paper towel. A loaded stone will leave scratches in your mirror polish.

I forgot i have the 16K also

I was spraying the stone off at every turn of the knife if not more so

I think the way you're doing it is the correct way. Just be sure the stone doesn't load up :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:30 am 
Forum Moderator

Yes, the correct way is to keep the stone super clean for mirror finish.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

I'm thrilled you like the Shaptons on the Edge Pro. It was a big investment to make Shapton do them for us and I think they're the best match for the machine on the market.

More slurry on the rough stones to aid in quick grinding. As you move up use less and less slurry to polish better for mirror finish. That's how I would do it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:44 am 
Forum Moderator

The glassstones do yield a brighter finish if they are not loaded up with metal swarf so lots of water helps. Unlike other stones that use the mud generated from the stone to advantage, the Shaptons - pro and glass - primarily contain metal swarf which yields a duller finish left on the stone. Also the smallest amount of your quarter micron spray on the stones will remove or eliminate metal swarf buildup or glazing. It won't replace your final finish with just the quarter micron spray on nanocloth. ZDP-189 has lots of Chromium carbides (20%) and with a pinch of CBN it will increase the speed of your Shapton stones considerably, giving you a denser stone slurry and a more aggressive cutting action and improved finish. ZDP-189 will take an exceptional edge so you can even continue to increase the sharpness of your edge past quarter micron.

In addition to keeping the metal swarf content down, spend a bit more time on each stone to more completely remove the scratch pattern from the previous stone. At times you will get an excellent edge but still need to go a bit further to get all the scratches out. They show up later and require going back to lower grits to remove them.

If you are trying to figure out which stones are leaving the scratches, try 'stroking' the knife in alternative directions with each stone so you can determine what stone scratches they are by scratch direction.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:12 pm 

ken123 wrote:The glassstones do yield a brighter finish if they are not loaded up with metal swarf so lots of water helps. Unlike other stones that use the mud generated from the stone to advantage, the Shaptons - pro and glass - primarily contain metal swarf which yields a duller finish left on the stone. Also the smallest amount of your quarter micron spray on the stones will remove or eliminate metal swarf buildup or glazing. It won't replace your final finish with just the quarter micron spray on nanocloth. ZDP-189 has lots of Chromium carbides (20%) and with a pinch of CBN it will increase the speed of your Shapton stones considerably, giving you a denser stone slurry and a more aggressive cutting action and improved finish. ZDP-189 will take an exceptional edge so you can even continue to increase the sharpness of your edge past quarter micron.

In addition to keeping the metal swarf content down, spend a bit more time on each stone to more completely remove the scratch pattern from the previous stone. At times you will get an excellent edge but still need to go a bit further to get all the scratches out. They show up later and require going back to lower grits to remove them.

If you are trying to figure out which stones are leaving the scratches, try 'stroking' the knife in alternative directions with each stone so you can determine what stone scratches they are by scratch direction.

---
Ken

Oh I always stroked in both directions to make a cross hatched pattern..... will do what you said instead

as far as the first part, just spray the diamond on the stones and and go?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, spray & go go go ....

:)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:17 pm 

Hello again

I had an idea and wanted to run it buy you, i was thinking about use a small water pump (like the pond pumps they have that only flow small amount plus use can adjust)

and putting a tube that would puthe water onto the stone ans you use it, I think this would make it much less messy and avoid hand cramps from spray bottles.

any thoughts or ideas ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next