It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC



Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!





 Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: just tried my shapton glass stone set..........
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:01 pm 

Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 1:24 pm
Posts: 65
:shock: :o :shock: :( :shock: :o

wow, I have not tried many stones but I re-proflied my one pocket knife that i carry every day, it is ZDP-189

it had some chips in it (small)

I started with the 220 and i was already able to cut paper cleanly !! I could never do that with the stock stones

I move to the 320 and i was able to push cut paper from about 1/4 inch out :o :o :o

I took this kife all the way, 500 > 1000 > 2000 > 4000 > 8000 > 16000 > .25 micron on strop (nano cloth)

this is the sharpest knife i have ever done.

The ZDP cut like butter and burs where so easy to get off with these stones

when i look close i do see more scratches in the mirror finsh but i think this will just take some practice to get get cleaner

I should also say it took about 1/4 the time as it use too !!!

do you guys leave the slurry on these to get best result (for mirror finsh) or leave it off?


Last edited by turbo v6 camaro on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.


_________________
Andrew
www.wideshutphotography.com
www.turbov6camaro.com
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: just tried my shapton glass stone set..........
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:22 pm 

Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 56
I don't think you want to use the 8k loaded up, clean it with water and a paper towel. A loaded stone will leave scratches in your mirror polish.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: just tried my shapton glass stone set..........
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:23 pm 

Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 1:24 pm
Posts: 65
erikz wrote:I don't think you want to use the 8k loaded up, clean it with water and a paper towel. A loaded stone will leave scratches in your mirror polish.

I forgot i have the 16K also

I was spraying the stone off at every turn of the knife if not more so



_________________
Andrew
www.wideshutphotography.com
www.turbov6camaro.com
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: just tried my shapton glass stone set..........
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:32 pm 

Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:53 pm
Posts: 56
turbo v6 camaro wrote:
erikz wrote:I don't think you want to use the 8k loaded up, clean it with water and a paper towel. A loaded stone will leave scratches in your mirror polish.

I forgot i have the 16K also

I was spraying the stone off at every turn of the knife if not more so

I think the way you're doing it is the correct way. Just be sure the stone doesn't load up :)


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: just tried my shapton glass stone set..........
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:30 am 
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 3:59 pm
Posts: 1624
Location: Cape Town - South Africa
Yes, the correct way is to keep the stone super clean for mirror finish.

:)



_________________
PICKLED IN SQUADRON RUM
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: just tried my shapton glass stone set..........
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:36 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:18 pm
Posts: 7232
Location: Madison Wisconsin
I'm thrilled you like the Shaptons on the Edge Pro. It was a big investment to make Shapton do them for us and I think they're the best match for the machine on the market.

More slurry on the rough stones to aid in quick grinding. As you move up use less and less slurry to polish better for mirror finish. That's how I would do it.



_________________
Mark Richmond
Chefknivestogo

Chefknivestogo Blog
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: just tried my shapton glass stone set..........
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:44 am 
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:45 am
Posts: 1228
The glassstones do yield a brighter finish if they are not loaded up with metal swarf so lots of water helps. Unlike other stones that use the mud generated from the stone to advantage, the Shaptons - pro and glass - primarily contain metal swarf which yields a duller finish left on the stone. Also the smallest amount of your quarter micron spray on the stones will remove or eliminate metal swarf buildup or glazing. It won't replace your final finish with just the quarter micron spray on nanocloth. ZDP-189 has lots of Chromium carbides (20%) and with a pinch of CBN it will increase the speed of your Shapton stones considerably, giving you a denser stone slurry and a more aggressive cutting action and improved finish. ZDP-189 will take an exceptional edge so you can even continue to increase the sharpness of your edge past quarter micron.

In addition to keeping the metal swarf content down, spend a bit more time on each stone to more completely remove the scratch pattern from the previous stone. At times you will get an excellent edge but still need to go a bit further to get all the scratches out. They show up later and require going back to lower grits to remove them.

If you are trying to figure out which stones are leaving the scratches, try 'stroking' the knife in alternative directions with each stone so you can determine what stone scratches they are by scratch direction.

---
Ken



_________________
My Facebook Page
Ken'sCorner
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: just tried my shapton glass stone set..........
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:12 pm 

Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 1:24 pm
Posts: 65
ken123 wrote:The glassstones do yield a brighter finish if they are not loaded up with metal swarf so lots of water helps. Unlike other stones that use the mud generated from the stone to advantage, the Shaptons - pro and glass - primarily contain metal swarf which yields a duller finish left on the stone. Also the smallest amount of your quarter micron spray on the stones will remove or eliminate metal swarf buildup or glazing. It won't replace your final finish with just the quarter micron spray on nanocloth. ZDP-189 has lots of Chromium carbides (20%) and with a pinch of CBN it will increase the speed of your Shapton stones considerably, giving you a denser stone slurry and a more aggressive cutting action and improved finish. ZDP-189 will take an exceptional edge so you can even continue to increase the sharpness of your edge past quarter micron.

In addition to keeping the metal swarf content down, spend a bit more time on each stone to more completely remove the scratch pattern from the previous stone. At times you will get an excellent edge but still need to go a bit further to get all the scratches out. They show up later and require going back to lower grits to remove them.

If you are trying to figure out which stones are leaving the scratches, try 'stroking' the knife in alternative directions with each stone so you can determine what stone scratches they are by scratch direction.

---
Ken



Oh I always stroked in both directions to make a cross hatched pattern..... will do what you said instead

as far as the first part, just spray the diamond on the stones and and go?



_________________
Andrew
www.wideshutphotography.com
www.turbov6camaro.com
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: just tried my shapton glass stone set..........
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:45 pm 
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 3:59 pm
Posts: 1624
Location: Cape Town - South Africa
Yeah, spray & go go go ....

:)



_________________
PICKLED IN SQUADRON RUM
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: just tried my shapton glass stone set..........
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:17 pm 

Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 1:24 pm
Posts: 65
Hello again

I had an idea and wanted to run it buy you, i was thinking about use a small water pump (like the pond pumps they have that only flow small amount plus use can adjust)

and putting a tube that would puthe water onto the stone ans you use it, I think this would make it much less messy and avoid hand cramps from spray bottles.


any thoughts or ideas ?



_________________
Andrew
www.wideshutphotography.com
www.turbov6camaro.com
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


suspicion-preferred