It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Help choosing a set of stones
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:00 pm 

Hello guys!
I am currently using an edgepro to keep my knives "spliting hair" sharp, mostly because I was afraind of screwing my knifes with a bad free hand skill.
However, I have been studing a lot since and I am now willing to step forward. I will start on cheap knives, as everyone should.

So, I need your help on recommending a 4 or 3 stone set on a $300 budget.
One important comment is that I am finishing on balsa with Cr oxide and bare lather strop.
My knifes are a 52100 ultimatum, a 270mm kono hd guyto, a 300 kono Hh suji and a tojiro Dp 120 utility.
I also have another question which is the most important stone in the set, low mid or high grit, that one we should pay more?
Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Help choosing a set of stones
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:01 pm 

For your budget the 3 peice Nubatama set is an excellent option. Around 260.00$ iirc. Down the road you will need a flattening solution so you need to think about that if you dont already have one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:06 pm 

+1 Nubatama set.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:41 pm 

The most important stone is your coarse stone. Whether you consider coarse to be a 150 stone or a 400 stone it is the stone that creates the edge.

For medium and fine stones I really like the Arashiyama 1k and 6k. There are better and faster cutting 1k stones but it does the job well and pairs nice with its 6k brother. The 6k Arashiyama stone is by far one of the best high grit stones I have ever used and one of the fastest. It also produces a edge that's not only very sharp but cuts well too.

For low grit stones there are many to chose from but I've seen none better than the Nubatama's. The 220 or 320 Ume or the 220 black bamboo would probably fit the bill.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:29 pm 

Jason B. wrote:...For medium and fine stones I really like the Arashiyama 1k and 6k. There are better and faster cutting 1k stones but it does the job well and pairs nice with its 6k brother. The 6k Arashiyama stone is by far one of the best high grit stones I have ever used and one of the fastest. It also produces a edge that's not only very sharp but cuts well too...

+1 Excellent pair of stones!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcset.html

and this:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmtextracoarse.html

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:06 pm 

Thanks guys,
By the way, I already have a DMT extra coarse I use for flattening my edgepro stones.
What do you guys think about this set?
-Latte 400
-Nubatama Bamboo 1k gold (or Shapton Pro 1,5k)
-Nubatama Bamboo 5k
-Imanishi 10k

What do you guys think about this set?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:09 pm 

10K is higher than most would go with a kitchen knife...... but if you have the money for a 5 and 10K stone, you might consider replacing them both in your list with a Meara Natural stone. Its about a 6K finish and is a great follower to a 1K synthetic stone. Ken Schwarz on this forum is the guy to talk to about the Meara if interested.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Looks like a nice set. As suggested by branwell, 10k is pushing the "too high" mark. But, I use a 10k on every knife I sharpen.....don't know that it's practical, but I do it anyway. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:49 pm 

I know I probably have no benefit between the 6k and 10k, however, I just like it... :D
I even bought a 10k chosera for my edge pro. No way I would forget the 10k. hahah and the Cr oxide strop!!! hahahaa

Questions: :?:
1) But what do you think about the nubatama 1k gold and the Shapton?
2) Can anyone explain me the differences between the Nubatama bamboo 1k gold and the Nubatama bamboo 1k? the first is half the price the second.
3) What are the differences between the Nubatama's Bamboo and Ume series?

Page 1 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next