It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:05 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Blue Burl Tanaka
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:15 am 

This is so cool. Like custom and it looks like she wont be loosing these anytime soon. They are so distinct

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:21 am 

what do you think about the quality of the jantz vg-10 blades? are they pretty well made in terms of straightness, taper, thickness behind the edge? I have been eyeing on the nakiri for a while and thinking about making a handle (my first try) for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:19 am 
Forum Moderator

The Jantz blades are nice. They are straight, cleanly finished. They will take a nice edge as well. I haven't used the Nakiri blank yet, though I keep eying it! I have used 5 1/8" stick tang blank, as well as the full tang 3" paring knife, 4 5/8" paring knife, 6" chefs knife and 8" chefs knife blanks. The blades may be a little thick behind the edge, but I haven't had to thin any yet. Down the road after sharpening them a bit, I can see thinning needing to be done, maybe earlier than some of the other knives available. I do these mostly for people who want them; otherwise, I usually get a Japanese knife, remove the handle and build up from there. I usually use the 4 5/8" or 6" chefs knife if I do use one of the blades, but they don't get used all that much because I have so many other knives I like better. I am a Carbon knife junky, so that's what I usually go for! The only stainless knives I use often are a Tojiro ITK Bread Knife when I cut up Watermelons and a Artifex 210mm.

As for Nakiri's, I am kinda a Nakiri Junky; I have 3 currently and one on custom order (7.5-8" 1095 blade from Randy Haas at HHH Knives) :) One is a Fujiwara Terayasu Nashiji White #1 core, stainless clad Nakiri, the others are the Tojiro Shirogami Nakiri and the Tanaka Kurouchi Blue #2 Nakiri. The Fujiwara is $150, the others are like $50. They all perform about the same. The Tanaka is the thinnest of the 3 that I have and takes a sick edge. If I was to get 1 Nakiri to keep, it would either be a 180mm Konosuke Nakiri in the HD series (I like the longer Nakiri's), or the Tanaka Damascus Blue Nakiri. I like long and thin Nakiri!

If you want to rehandle a Nakiri, the Tojiro or Tanaka Kurouchi's will give you an awesome blade for less money and because it is a Kurouchi finish, you won't feel as apprehensive of thinning when it's needed as you would with the polished Damascus blade of the Jantz blade. Also, you would have a handle so the knife would be useable out of the box and something to base your new handle off of.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:38 am 

thanks a million! this helps me a lot! looks like the jantz nakiri isn't gonna work as I was looking for something really thin (I suspected it might be thick from the clustered Damascus waves near the edge).

Looks like we were bitten by the same long nakiri bug. I used to look for the sweetest carbon edge also. but now I need lots of convincing even for semi stainless. well, having a one year old does that to you. I do value the geometry of the blade and edge a lot, which I think in many cases is even more important than the edge itself. I have had an idea of a dream knife when I first got into knife but didn't dare to think much about it. but after running a few circles about what I want, I think I will give it some real consideration. Mark, don't hate me for this: I will get an addict and chop off the tip of the blade and the end of the handle! a bit pricier but a lot easier to do than any other of my plans.

I like the tanaka damascus blue nakiri also. for the kono nakiri, check with Mark to make sure the edge is 180. I remember from somewhere if a knife has a machi, the length is from tip to machi.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

I thought I read somewhere that it was longer, but the website says edge is 165.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

The handles really are lookers!

"I'm glad I ordered several more pieces of this stuff :)"

Could you provide a link where you bought it please??

Thx.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Company is Arizona Ironwood. I've bought a good bit of wood from them and it's all been incredible!! The pictures are very accurate in terms of the figure. They have a good selection of woods and colors to choose from and I've gotten over a dozen pieces of wood from them lately, all top notch stuff!

http://arizonaironwood.com/

The only thing I didn't like from them is when I ordered the larger Giraffe Bone Scales. I got the green yellow ones, but they were like Mountain Dew Neon Green/Yellow and the hollow part was filled with a different shade of green epoxy. So if you shape them out, you have a different green and different texture to the handle. At only $13 each, it was worth it to see what they were like. The thinner scales were nice and didn't have the filler.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thx for the link!

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:55 pm 

really cool link. looks like they have a lot of stuff

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2