It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:44 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Some stuff done!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Saya for a 300mm gyuto. We were trying for a very dark wood, close to black. I found some stuff called Katalox, which can be dark like Ebony. This one is a dark brown to dark red, depending on the angle. I am hoping it will darken a bit more over time, but I think it looks good!

Aarons Fuji 240mm thinned out, acid etched:

In it's saya, also Katalox. This piece had a lighter streak in it as you can see:

Takeda Kogatana with Curly Koa handle, Ivory Micarta spacer in the handle. There is some nice curly to the wood, but it's hard to get the right angle and not have the sun glare off of the handle. I trimmed the handle back a bit lengthwise from the original pic.

240mm Takeda with Bolivian Rosewood saya, small Bunka with Burmese Blackwood ferrule and Rosewood handle:

Honyaki's have the handles attached, working on the CA finish currently!

Post subject: Re: Some stuff done!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:25 pm 

Who's the maker for the Bunka?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

TIM <> Did you get a different than usual effect on the Fujiyamas, or is it just the lighting? Different acid?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:39 am 
Forum Moderator

Not sure on the maker of the Bunka, I emailed the guy to see who makes it. It's got a carbon core, dimpled SS cladding it looks like and reminds me of a Anryu on the blade, but Masakage on the handle with the red pakkawood ferrule and Ho wood.

I thinned the heck out of the Fujiyama and took it up to a near mirror off of the belts and used cork belts with rouge to buff it. It got a nice patina, but was kinda smelly, so I cleaned off the Patina with the medium and fine Scothcbrite pads and then etched it. Once it was etched, I put Mineral Oil on it and let it soak in a bit. It took a lighter etch on the core; it went to more brown/gold than to dark grey like on other knives. I use the same Ferric Chloride that I use on my other knives. Different steels react differently. Also, the core was highly polished, even after the Scotchbrite pads, so that may be why it didn't get as dark.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:51 am 
Forum Moderator

erikz wrote:"Who's the maker for the Bunka?"

My money's on a Koishi<link> with the Kurouchi polished off.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:23 am 
Forum Moderator

It doesn't look like it. It had a red pakkawood ferrule and ho handle originally.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:57 am 

Thanks, it sure looks like a Masakage, the Kanji on the right is the same as on the CTKG page you provided Mel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

Talked to the customer this morning, it was a Masakage he picked up from Knifewear in Canada and it was in the store only, not listed on line. I wonder if they got a run w/o the KU finish on them?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

erikz wrote:"Thanks, it sure looks like a Masakage, the Kanji on the right is the same as on the CTKG page you provided Mel."

The dimpling & Kanji is identical to the Koishi I linked to, thus my suspicion, but the choil radius still leaves me curious as to exactly what series it is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:37 am 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, the guy said it was in the store only and not online, so it may be a special order, one of a kind or something like that. Nice little blade though!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next