It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kohetsu AS 210
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:07 pm 

There is an abundance of great things to say about this knife and nothing bad yet!

I have been using this knife for one week on a very busy line. It has been used for everything from limes and red onions to raw/cooked fish,meat and poultry also a lot of bread. I don't tend to baby knives and this one can keep up with everything I through at it! This is my first true Japanese knife and it has completely blown away my expectations. The patina on this knife formed in minutes (literally) I have never seen anything like it. The contrast on the cladding is beautiful, the weighting is perfect for me, the height is perfect for me, the length/profile is perfect for a tight line and the grind.... this is what really makes the knife stands out! (keep in mind this is my first Javanese knife) If I'm not mistaken its a 99/1 grind? perfect for what I do. As said I have been using this knife with some corrosive foods and bread and the edge is doing very well. I have not sharpened and after the use I have put it through can still shave hair. I could talk this thing up for hours so I leave you with this. I could think of no better knife for me in my current situation and will cherish this knife for a very long time. Thanks mark and everyone involved with cktg for the best thing I have had in my hand in a long time.

As a side note the knife did not fit the saya I ordered with it. My own fault for not mentioning it was for this knife and having it fit. Luckily the saya that was on my Miyabi fit this knife perfect and the new one fit the Miyabi.

Post subject: Re: Kohetsu AS 210
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Nice photos! I'm so glad you like the knife. It was a labor of love that took me over a year to produce and I think they really are a whole lot of knife for the money. The grind on the microbevel is not that assymetric. More like 70-30. Here's the knife you have for those that might be looking: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu21gy.html

I can't wait till the 240s show. They got pushed back for some reason but they're on deck to ship next.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:00 am 
Forum Moderator

WALLY <> Glad the sayas worked out in the end.

What do you mean 99/1 grind, and are you referring to the blade's grind or the edge's?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:29 pm 

Yeah the knife is asymmetrical at the time I didn't realize there was a micro bevel on the front side. The bevel on the back side is very small almost a chisel.

The knife is holding its edge very well. On Monday I helped a friend with a catering and the knife was a little abused. 1 gallon diced tomatoes, 2 qt shallots, 1 gallon sliced onions etc... And the edge lived through the rest of the week with only stropping on cardboard. I did have a small chip but it was my fault, I caught it on the edge of a hotel pan it should come right out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:47 pm 

Do you have any choil shots?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:17 pm 

Not the best shot. If that doesn't help I can get a good one when i have a helper.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

These are pretty thin behind the edge, I will try for a choil shot tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:51 pm 

Thanks walla!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

WALLY <> I'm still at a loss as to what you could possibly mean by a 99/1 grind. The Kohetsu is a double-bevel grind.

For example, this is a 60/40 asymmetric double bevel:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:12 pm 

It may be best to ask mark about this one. I didn't even realize there was a convex on the back until I took the shot. Sorry for any confusion I have caused as stated very new to this style of knife. In cktgs post it seamed like it was stated it was asymmetrical 70/30ish mine does not seam to have 30 on the back side. All I know is this is a wonderful knife.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next