It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:59 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Shapton Glass lapping plate vs DMT
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

Interested in the shapton glass stones. Saw the starter set comes with dmt lapping plate not the shapton one. You can use the dmt on shapton. Whats better about the shapton one that makes it that much more expensive.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Shapton Glass lapping plate vs DMT
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

The Shapton one is good, flat and they don't seem to wear out (I've never heard of anyone wearing one out). But, they're too expensive for my taste so while I offer them I have a problem putting a set together with it in there. So I substituted the Shapton plate with a more economical one that we sell much better. I would much prefer you spend your money on knives or stones rather than flattening plates....

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

ALEX <> Another available lapping plate option that is a slight upgrade from the DMT's are the Atoma's <link>. After using one, you really recognize the diamond particle orientation's benefits, and they are reference plate flat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:36 pm 

Are you talking about the diamond plate in >this set<? If so I think you should make sure it is clearly understood that it is NOT a DMT plate. The economy 140 grit diamond plate seems to have no true brand name associated with it and it is not the same caliber or quality as the DMT Diasharp XXC 120 grit plate. I hate that it so often is getting mistaken for the DMT.

I too agree with Mel. The Atoma 140 is a solid upgrade for the price over the DMT.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

Good eye, Paradox. I didn't check the set to see what plate was included, in fact.

ALEX <> As Paradox points out, the Shapton set you are referring to includes the Generic 123 plate <link>; whereas the DMT <link> is a higher quality plate (i.e., flat to more exacting specs & higher quantity/quality diamond particles & adhesive)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:36 pm 

so the one that comes in the set isn't the dmt.
The shapton is priciest but the dmt or atoma are both good and can be used on the shapton glass stones I take it? The atoma is also better than the dmt?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:57 pm 

was gonna get 3 stones. Which grits? thinking of 1000 4000 8000? or should I get 1000 4000 6000? or 1000 6000 8000?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

ALEX <> The Shapton set <link> you are referring to includes the Generic 123 plate <link>. Whereas the DMT <link> plate you thought was included is a higher quality plate (i.e., flat to more exacting specs & higher quantity/quality diamond particles & adhesive) that can be used to sharpen knives as well as lap stones. Another available lapping plate option that is a slight upgrade from the DMT's are the Atoma's <link>. After using one, you really recognize their proprietary diamond particle orientation's benefits, and they are reference plate flat which is most important in its knife sharpening capacity.

If you're bent on Shapton, the set you refer to earlier includes the 1k & 4K so one more stone is the question? If you're now looking at the other Shapton sets, that opens up a lot of options. I can't speak about the Glass Stones; I've never used them & honestly have no interest in them as they're too hard for my likes. The glass sets I'd personally be apt to go for the 500/1k/6k just because the 6k is all you need, but I still don't like any of those glass progressions although that is based off logic that may not apply as like I said, I have never used the Glass stones. I like the 320/1k/5k Pro set the best of the sets with the 1k/5k/8k Pro set, next. I have Shapton Pro 2k/5k/8k/15k that I use mostly for my straight razors. Ultimately, if I was forced to buy only three Shaptons, just for knives, it would be the Pro 1k/2k/5k.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:12 pm 

I saw the dmt xxc but I also saw dmt lapping plates

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmtxxcexla.html
and
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmtdilapl.html

I assume you are referring to the xxc which is just a course sharpening diamond stone that can also be used as a stone fixer? Is there a difference between that and an actual lapping plate? the price is different

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

ALEX <> The "stone fixer" as to "diamond stone" is just sizing.

Your first link is the same as the XXC plate, but larger... 3"x8":4"x10"

Your second link is to a plate I have no first-hand experience w/, but what I can tell you is...
#1. It's the oversized plate @4"x10"
#2. It's abrasive rating @95 microns is between the XXC @120 microns & the XC @60 microns.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next