It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:40 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stones for sharpening kinves and straight razors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

daf wrote:"I was looking at the smaller stone that used to be available. I don't want to drop $300 plus on the larger stone at this time."

The KOPPA is the small stone, and FYI: it's a very popular stone that is often in stock; I don't know why you are under the impression they will not be restocked.

If you are set on the venerable hard Ozuku, checking with Ken123, via email, is another option as he may have the stone in stock.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:10 pm 

kalaeb wrote:Rick, would you take the Naniwa 12k over the Shapton Pro 15k?

No, but the Shapton 15k costs a bit more than the Naniwa, and I infer the OP is on a budget.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:13 pm 

Jason B. wrote:I can't see the jump from a 5k Rika to a SS 12k going too well, that and personally I feel the super stones are not that great. I would take a 10k imanishi over the SS any day. YMMV.

It just takes longer. If you're concerned with time, then an intermediate stone makes perfect sense.

I don't have any experience with the 10k Imanishi, but the SS is a serviceable stone.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:20 pm 

Rick wrote:
Jason B. wrote:I can't see the jump from a 5k Rika to a SS 12k going too well, that and personally I feel the super stones are not that great. I would take a 10k imanishi over the SS any day. YMMV.

It just takes longer. If you're concerned with time, then an intermediate stone makes perfect sense.

I don't have any experience with the 10k Imanishi, but the SS is a serviceable stone.

It's not a time issue its a removing the scratches issue and your simply not removing the scratches. It does not matter that the bevel is so small because the steel in a razor is still very hard so a closer grit progression is still needed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:12 pm 

Jason B. wrote:
Rick wrote:

It's not a time issue its a removing the scratches issue and your simply not removing the scratches. It does not matter that the bevel is so small because the steel in a razor is still very hard so a closer grit progression is still needed.

You can remove 5k scratches equally well with an 8k or a 12k or a 30k. All it takes is time, lots of time with the higher grits. If you still have scratches, you haven't put enough time in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:58 pm 

Shapton Pro 8k and 15k. Hard stones that are popular with SR users.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:28 am 

Thank you all for your suggestions. To help clear this up a bit. I'm not too constricted by budget though as I'll be fairly new to straights I really just don't want to drop $300 on a jnat. I'd like to avoid the more costly chosera's at well. Most of the stones other stones are around $100 or less. That would be fine but if a 60 dollar stone is just as good then I'm up for that. If you can share your likes and dislikes that would be great. Jason if I spend 100 on a snow white or bamboo will it get me a better stone or would i be just as happy with the stones you rec'd in the 70 dollar range? Thanks again to all of you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:29 am 

Melampus,

The CKTG page for the ozuku asagi koppa says that if they are listed as out of stock, then they likely will not be getting anymore. The store has been out of stock on that stone for quite some time. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hinak.html

To the op, you could get an edge pro ozuku for 50 dollars I believe, will work as a hand stone for straight razors as demonstrated in the above video. Probably no good for knives though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:25 am 
Forum Moderator

LUCA <> Thank you for bringing that to my attention; I stand corrected. I hadn't read that little blurb Mark added in as stock is always in & out.

Odds are still high Ken has some Ozukus, and if not, he'll have other Asagis.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:41 am 

I have to say that the Kitayama would make a great next-in-the-progression stone. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kitayama8000.html.

It is a stone that does not get a ton of press, but will really enhance the 5K edge and prepare for that 15K or so final polish. I have straights and have finished on the Qzudu Asagi (Koppa) with great results.

+1 on contacting Ken Schwartz for any advice or finding stock on natural stones. It is very likely that he will have a stone in your price range that will be a great finishing stone for razors. Email him at ksskss@earthlink.net for the best response.

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next