It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:56 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Stones for sharpening kinves and straight razors
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:32 pm 

All,
I curently have the following stones for sharpening knives

Current have:
Latte 400
Nubatama Ume 1K
Suehiro Rika 5K

I would like to add two more:
Stone one - for knives and razors
Stone two - for razors only

My question is how will my current stones work for razors and can you please make some suggestions for the two stones I'm looking to purchase.

Please share your experiences with the stones and how they might compare to others.

I've searched the internet for advice and I'm not finding much at all. Most razor users seem to prefer natural stones. I may get into that down the road but I'm not looking to go there now. I've watched several of the stone videos here and they are all about the same. No offense is intended, but they are not critical enough and don't really dig into any detail. Nothing negative is ever stated and really no comparisons made. They all go through the normal process, wet the stone, sharpen the knife and then show me how sharp it is and then end with some variation of "I think we've got another good one here". You must have some preferences and I'm sure some stones are better than others, please tell me why.

Please share some performance based picks and well as some perofrmance/value based picks. I expect to spend some money on this but value is important as well. I haven't put a dollar amount as I'm not locked to a specific amount.

Thank you,
David

Post subject: Re: Stones for sharpening kinves and straight razors
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

DAVID <> One of our resident SR Gurus is a Shapton Pro <-- advocate. Another, Mr.Magnus, is a natural coticule guy. Rick is another SR guy with decades of experience... he might chime in. I followed in Michiel's style, Tom Blodgett's style, which allows me to buy smaller less expensive handstones. I have Shapton Pros, Natural coticules & belgian blues, and Japanese natural Yaginoshima & Ozukus.

Michiel Vanhoudt wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:21 am 

Arashiyama 6k and Ozuku Asagi. I sharpen 5-10 razors per week sometimes more and they all get finished on a ozuku asagi and I have had zero complaints.

P.S. the 1k Ume is great for setting bevels on straights.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:16 am 

Jason,

Thank you for your response. i believe that the Ozuku Asagi is a good suggestion but it is out of stock and it doesn't look like they are getting any more. I would prob go that route if they had one. Do you have another suggestion? Also on the Arashiyama, I didn't expect a 6K suggestion when I already have a 5K stone. I was expecting something more like an 8k to 10K and a 12K or higher.

Please share your thoughts.

Thank you,
David

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:03 am 
Forum Moderator

DAVID <> FYI: the Koppa Ozuku is a very popular stone that is often in stock; I don't know why you are under the impression they will not be restocked.

If you are set on the venerable hard Ozuku, checking with Ken123, via email, is another option as he may have the stone in stock.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:15 pm 

I was looking at the smaller stone that used to be available. I don't want to drop $300 plus on the larger stone at this time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:17 pm 

The grit number of stones is not always something to rely on. Ive heard more than a few times that the Rika is closer to a 3k and I know from experience the Arashiyama acts like a 8k. The Arashiyama 6k IMO is one of the best finishing stones available and would provide a excellent finish for knives and a good bridging stone for razors when moving to a higher grit natural.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:19 pm 

daf wrote:I was looking at the smaller stone that used to be available. I don't want to drop $300 plus on the larger stone at this time.

If you are on a budget, I recommend the Naniwa Superstone 12000. Go from there to a balsa strop pasted with 0.5 micron chromium oxide.

http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/ind ... 4cb8b5c65f

or

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/na12grsu1cm.html

You should be able to make the jump from the 5k Suehiro Rika to the 12k Naniwa, but if you find you need (or want) and intermediate stone, the Superstone in 8k would do nicely.

Naturals are very nice, but you can get a nice shaving razor from synthetics as well.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:25 pm 

Rick, would you take the Naniwa 12k over the Shapton Pro 15k?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:45 pm 

I can't see the jump from a 5k Rika to a SS 12k going too well, that and personally I feel the super stones are not that great. I would take a 10k imanishi over the SS any day. YMMV.

Page 1 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next