It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kohetsu Aogami Super vs. Goko Gyuto 210mm
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:01 am 

Kohetsu Aogami Super vs. Goko - Gyuto 210mm

So after initially looking at a lower price point, I've decided to raise my budget a little. I have re-scoped my list and based on the recommendations from you guys in my first thread narrowed to these two. Any recommendations or experiences one way or the other on these two?

Post subject: Re: Kohetsu Aogami Super vs. Goko Gyuto 210mm
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:31 am 
Forum Moderator

Hey Obiwan,

Two excellent choices there. It depends on whether you want a lightweight laser that's a little shorter at the heel (45mm & change) or a middleweight performer that's pretty tall for a 210 (52mm & change). The Goko might be a little more forgiving with an RC 60 heat treat and the white #1 will be a little easier to sharpen. The Kohetsu with it's Aogami Super core will have better edge retention and will still be pretty easy to sharpen and it has a great heat treat on the steel.

Do you like a little more heft, or do you want a super nimble very light Gyuto? Aesthetically, the Goko will be a bit more rustic with it's SS Kurouchi finish cladding.

I have not had either knife in my hand, but I know that Shaun (Knife Fanatic) has. Adam may have played with both as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:22 am 
Forum Moderator

I have the 210mm Kohetsu here and a 240mm Goko here. Kohetsu has a more refined finish to it and a nice handle. Grinds and HT are great on the Kohetsu and it performs incredibly well. I haven't used the Goko yet and it's a larger knife (240mm vs 210mm), but it's heavier, thicker and more rustic. The handle is larger as well. Grinds look good, very much like the Fujiwara Terayasu series. White #1 may take a slightly finer edge and be a touch easier to sharpen, but the Kohetsu will take and hold a very nice edge, too. Stropping brings it right back up easily, too.

On the Goko, it is a Nashiji finish (pear textured). Kurouchi finish from what I have seen refers to the black finish that is put over/baked on/Forge scale on the knife. Some KU are smooth and glossy, some are very rough and pitted, etc. The Gojo has a rougher texture (Nashiji) to the cladding itself, but no coating as far as I can tell. I am still trying to research if this is actually a Kurouchi finish or not since there is no black to it. I have had a few knives with this type of finish (Nashiji) and there was no coating on it, so I do not believe that these are stainless KU or grey KU or anything like that. It is the texture of the steel itself without any coatings on it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

I'll have a much better idea of how they do this finish in the spring when I watch and talk to the blacksmiths that employ it. I love that finish since it doesn't come off and looks cool. One of my suppliers says it's sand blasted but I'm not sure about that.

The profile of these two knives are different. The gokos are taller. They're also thicker at the spine.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Absolutely, all previous posts are spot on in my opinion. The Goko is taller, thicker, and a little heavier.... but by no means does this mean it's less good of a cutter. Both knives are thin behind the edge and cut incredibly well. The Kohetsu takes a bit longer to sharpen but will hold its edge a bit longer as well. The Goko takes refinement so incredibly fast, it will make you feel like the world's best sharpener, not that the Kohetsu is far behind; It gets scary sharp as well without too much fuss.

I think the determining factors here should be weight and environment. In a pro environment I'd grab the Kohetsu in a heartbeat, not that you could'nt use the Goko in a pro setting, it's well made and stainless clad as well. The Goko would be more of a joy to use in a home environment IMO, due to the added weight you will get better perceived cutting power and edge retention is not really an issue. The Kohetsu's light weight and hard steel make it ideal for longer hours of prep with low fatigue and without the need to keep honing it. White #1 will need to be honed more often than Aogami super. Also, while the Goko's finish will most likely never come off, I tend to steer people away from "rougher" finished knives in a pro setting. I sincerely love both knives, what a great problem to have being tossed up between these 2. :mrgreen:

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:44 pm 

Thanks all. Shaun, as for the environment, I’m a home cook. I’m not sure the exact weight comparison, but this will likely be used in place of my current 8” Shun classic SS chef’s knife. Long gone are the days of a long shift of cutting so I’m not sure weight is a huge factor one way or another.

As for sharpening, I love to hone and have the stones out about 5 nights a week for razors, knives, etc. Edge retention is certainly nice, but not critical.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Well, if you like to sharpen the Aogami super in the Richmond will take a steeper edge, so you can get a little crazier with the edge if you dare, and being a home cook may afford you the luxury of making a steeper more delicate edge that doesn't need to stand up the the rigors of pro use.

Really it comes down to if you want a heavier, more rustic blade, or do you want a lightweight laser with better fit and finish. If we are going for raw performance and finish, the Kohetsu wins. The Goko is not far behind in performance though, and the cool finish on the blade is very attractive to a lot of people. The added weight of the Goko will give it a little bit better perceived power when chopping ingredients, but for any slice or push cuts the Kohetsu will feel better due to overall thinner profile.

If all else fails (and you truly can't pick between the 2) you can flip a coin and be happy, trust me. These 2 knives are a bit different, and as a home user with a less demanding environment you can afford to choose what you "want" more than what you "need". But, like I said, pro environment the Kohetsu wins, and if it's good for pro you know it's good for home. ;)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]