It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 12 of 12 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Free Giveaway. How do you sharpen?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for playing guys.

The winner for this giveaway is Jared08

PM me and I'll send out the knife!

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

JARED <> Image

ROOSTERSCROW <> You are the owner of some absolutely magic German steel because typically they barely come shaving sharp... let alone retain it for 2-3 years w/o sharpening.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:27 am 

Melampus wrote:
ROOSTERSCROW <> You are the owner of some absolutely magic German steel because typically they barely come shaving sharp... let alone retain it for 2-3 years w/o sharpening.

I have always been happy with my wusthofs until I saw some of the speed dicing videos on Youtube with the Gyuto's. I tried and couldn't make some of those cuts because of the blade thickness that wants to wedge in an onion for example. My new Kohetsu should be here tomorrow and I'm looking forward to experiencing what a thinner blade can do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:14 am 

400 Naniwa ss, 1000 Naniwa ss, 5000 Naniwa ss, natural aoto, 8000 Kitayama. Strop on a loaded piece of balsa wood, then horse butt leather. Right now I'm enjoying the edge I get from the 1000 to the aoto then stroping on the kitayama. I only use the balsa wood and leather inbetween sharpening sessions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:59 am 
Forum Moderator

ROOSTER <> I can dice just the same with my Wusthofs as my JK's; the knife is the most inconsequential variable in the equation. VIDEOS SHOW THE HANDLER'S CAPABILITY MUCH MORE THAN THE KNIFE'S CAPABILITY... DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

I wasn't bashing Wusthofs; I love Wusthof, & have amassed a cache of my beloved Avantgardes, Grand Prixes, & Ikons. My point was/is no German steel stays shaving sharp for 2-3 years w/o sharpening. Period.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:55 am 

Melampus wrote:ROOSTER <> I can dice just the same with my Wusthofs as my JK's; the knife is the most inconsequential variable in the equation. VIDEOS SHOW THE HANDLER'S CAPABILITY MUCH MORE THAN THE KNIFE'S CAPABILITY... DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

I wasn't bashing Wusthofs; I love Wusthof, & have amassed a cache of my beloved Avantgardes, Grand Prixes, & Ikons. My point was/is no German steel stays shaving sharp for 2-3 years w/o sharpening. Period.

Perhaps I don't know what really sharp is? I just consider my knife to be sharp enough when it will shave the hair on my forearm. Too maintain that, my little 8" chef knife seldom needs more than a few seconds attention on the steel, maybe one a week. I can tell you that my pocket knife which is made out of harder steel (s30v) requires monthly sharpening and it sees little actual use in comparison. Perhaps it's those little elves that I sometimes catch a glimpse of that are sharpening my kitchen knives while I sleep?

Sharp enough to make soup. :) http://www.whatlifedishesout.com/?p=117

and to cut my Thanksgiving Turkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:00 am 

Unreal! I never win anything, let alo ne something ill actually enjoy and appreciate! Haha
Thank you much. Look forward to trying it out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:57 am 

Currently sharpening on a Norton Tri-Stone at work.
Planning to get some stones of my own, but as a humble and underpaid cook, it is going to take a while!

Page 12 of 12 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12