It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:53 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: need knife suggestions; no fixed notions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:13 am 

I am a prep-cook in a soup kitchen and spend about 4 hours in a day chopping all kinds of stuff, from herbs to fruits, vegetables, hard squashes, cutting ham off the bone, and the occasional chicken bone. No heavy chopping. I have been using a cheap Forschner Victorinox knife because it was no great loss if it went missing. But it only has a 5 inch blade (under-powered) and it doesn't hold an edge through four hours of chopping. Was looking at the CCK Small Cleaver, KF1303, but I am really ignorant and could use optimized suggestions. And I really am looking for a single general-purpose knife.

1. Are you right handed? Yes

2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) no pre-conceived notions, as long as it will stay sharp

3. What size knife are you looking for? no pre-conceived notions, but longer than 5 inches and probably 8 inches or less

4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? no bias in this area

5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? either is fine

6. How much did you want to spend? hopefully less than $100 and I will probably have you guys sharpen the knife for me before delivery (I am a value kind of guy, and there is still that chance that it can go missing)

7. Do you know how to sharpen? one of the Chef's Choice models is all I use, but am willing to learn how to do a proper job once I know which knife to select

Hope this is enough info. Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: need knife suggestions; no fixed notions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:18 am 

Tough all around knife, holds an edge well, in your budget. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar21.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:53 am 

I have looked up the knife recommended and believe it to be excellent. One request. If there is another knife in the 150mm to 175mm category that is worth considering as a comparison, that would be greatly appreciated. It would be a little more nimble (a benefit) than the 210mm option. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:18 am 

There are a few pettys in this list within your budget if you prefer that over a 210mm.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/150mmpettys.html
Of these I would go with this - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokopetty150mm.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:52 pm 

Hi:
Take a look at the Moritaka 165mm petty. It is over your budget but a great knife.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mosu16pe.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:42 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions. I have ordered the 150mm Goko Petty. I'll take another look at the Moritaka when it is back in stock. Next up, a paring knife.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:44 pm 

Nice choice!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]