It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Shipping price
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:32 am 

Hello
I love cktg but I would really like to have a more inexpensive shipping alternative. When I order stuff is usually pays around 50 $ for shipping to Norway. When I order stuff from different ebay sellers in US I often get shipping prices down to 20 $. Off course these are very slow, but I can wait 1-2 mnd.

Will it in the future be possible to ship for a lower cost to international customers. I would probably buy much more stuff.)

Post subject: Re: Shipping price
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:52 pm 

+1. I would buy much more from Mark if there were a cheaper shipping option. I would have bought my CCK cleaver from him, but $32.00 shipping on a $45.00 knife is too much for me. Even with being massively overcharged and paying tax in Chinatown it worked out cheaper. I wouldn't mind waiting longer if I could get the costs down.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:58 am 

I want to add that the stuff I did get from Mark was very well shipped and I was very happy, so no complaints. A cheaper shipping option would just mean I could buy more goodies.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:40 pm 

Yes I love the shop. Cheaper international shipping prices will only sell more knives.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:40 pm 

I'm bumping up against this again today. I badly need a 320 Glass Stone, but shipping to Canada is $35.00 on a $50.00 item. I would very much prefer to buy from Mark as he's actually involved with his customers and promotes a lot of good learning, but an 80% premium for geography is too much. As an example, the shapton pro cases that Paradox mailed me got here 4 days later than the glass stones I bought from CKTG, but the boxes only cost $8.95 to send to me USPS, shipping from CKTG cost over $35.00. I know for a fact that you're losing Canadian orders to Paul's Finest and to Ebay because of shipping costs. A lower cost, slower international shipping option would make all the difference.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:04 pm 

Cheaper shipping could be problematic because there would be no track and trace option and no insurance, besides the longer wait? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could imagine CKTG prefers t&t and insurance because of the price of the goods they sell here.

I prefer those options, even if it's more expensive. It might be different from Canada in Europe because here knives cost a fortune. Even with taxes added and the shipping the way it is, CKTG is cheaper for me to buy at than walking into a Dutch, German or Belgian store.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:41 pm 

I hear what you're saying but the $8.95 postage from the US to me did include a tracking number and was only four days slower than the premium CKTG shipping. The shipper used First Class Package International service. I think this would be a very viable cheaper option.
Mark is mostly cheaper than my local stores, but is often more expensive than other online sources once shipping is factored in. I try to shop at CKTG because I do appreciate the value he adds, but it's not always possible to pay that premium and I do think the CKTG is losing orders.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:49 pm 

seanp wrote:I hear what you're saying but the $8.95 postage from the US to me did include a tracking number and was only four days slower than the premium CKTG shipping. The shipper used First Class Package International service. I think this would be a very viable cheaper option.
Mark is mostly cheaper than my local stores, but is often more expensive than other online sources once shipping is factored in. I try to shop at CKTG because I do appreciate the value he adds, but it's not always possible to pay that premium and I do think the CKTG is losing orders.

This might be true for CA, but for the EU an FCPI package could be held for up to 4 weeks by customs. Only the more expensive options provide full customs 'support'. At least, that's what happened to me 2 times when I ordered a tshirt through eBay from an US seller (took about 5 weeks to reach me using FCPI).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:38 am 

Absolutely, Erickz. My comments are completely from a Canadian point of view. I can imagine that EU issues are different. There's no diff between the two postal services here as far a customs goes (and I've always been especially impressed with the way Mark handles customs declarations). A four week hold would have me tearing out hair, both my own and the nearest customs rep's.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:44 am 

Consider also FCP is weight determined. The whole package I sent you was 5 oz. I think? The limit is 4 lbs. And that runs $25 to Canada. I don't think there is a really economical way to ship internationally?

Flat rate Priority Mail International boxes can weigh up to 20 lbs. They cost $41 and $54 for the medium and large boxes.

Back in the day we had surface mail. It was affordable at least we thought it was. We would send packages from the US to New Zealand 2-3 times a year. Moving boxes full of stuff. Granted we would need to ship in August to be sure they would get it for xmas. ;)

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next