It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Magnitized Knives
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:55 pm 

leo --> pictures?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:05 pm 

How to de-magnetise steel sound technical http://klabs.org/DEI/References/design_ ... s/1220.pdf or perhaps you can equally reverse the polarity to cancel the magnetism by stroking the steel with a magnet with opposing poles or live with it! I would rather minimise magnetism in knives by keeping them away from magnets in the first place .
Perhaps knives suck Guinness well when magnetised possible good for prepping Irish stew . LOL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:25 am 

Demagnetizing knives is not difficult. A few solid hits with a hammer will usually do the trick. Though, i prefer using a tape/hard drive eraser as the thought of intentionally hitting a knife gives me nightmares.

Even a 2 pole solder gun will work if the knife isn't too tall. Place the knife between the poles inside the loop. Turn on power and slowly remove. Used in a slightly different manor it can magnetize items as well. Magnetized screw drivers are a thing of beauty in tight spots.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:22 pm 

How to de-magnetise steel sound technical http://klabs.org/DEI/References/design_ ... s/1220.pdf or perhaps you can equally reverse the polarity to cancel the magnetism by stroking the steel with a magnet with opposing poles or live with it! I would rather minimise magnetism in knives by keeping them away from magnets in the first place .
Perhaps knives suck Guinness well when magnetised possible good for prepping Irish stew . LOL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:04 am 

IMG_1396.jpg [43.95 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

The cheap non magnetised knife rack these are the general use knives for my family the better knives are kept away from clumsy hands

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:52 pm 

I think that having the knives all jammed up like that would be more damaging to them than a magnet could ever be? Since the magnet does NO damage to the knife to begin with anyway. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 pm 

You are probable right in this version this was a spontaneous construction and it could well have been better spaced although the blades under my supervision do not touch; the cleaver blade faces inwards so it does not touch the washers .
The thing is it probable could be made twice as long the location here was limited by plug sockets on one side and an expresso machine on the other , I see no reason why the horizontal spans could not be a metre in length and then have a vertical base to stop sag .
I am not saying it is better but it is a low cost alternative that I may well repeat at sometime since it is easy to tailor make the spans . I see some Japanese kitchens favour wooden pegs arranged vertically on horizontal strips to locate the pegs to support the knives and once again home built fitted in between units to utilise space rather like a galley in a small yacht.
I am not trying to convert people away from magnets but for me I do not like them and wood is an easy medium although I could cut up a high density plastic board to build something similar possible it would be a better medium to use .
Plus as a one off my knife rack is cramped they keep mating even the cheap ones but in spite of the look the blades do not touch any more so than with an over crowded magnetic rack as said it was a solution for me and a spontaneous one at that !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:23 pm 

All my knives and screwdrivers get magnetized from me carrying and using them. I've always noticed this with screwdrivers and pocket knives, but not with the kitchen knives, so I just went and checked them. Sure enough, magnetized and they set in a plain ol' knife block.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:28 pm 

It must be your magnetic personality? ;)

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2