It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Convex edges or not
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

For a Honyaki, it will depend on the maker and what they left the edge at. I have a 240mm Blue #2 from Konosuke and the blade grind is nearly flat, and almost down to the edge itself and a very small bevel. It would be almost impossible to tell if the bevel was convex or flat on the edge and honestly, with the thinness behind the edge, won't matter at all.

You are overthinking this I think. There is no 1 bevel style for a honyaki. With a properly thinned out knife that is thin behind the edge, the bevel will be so small it will have little to no effect really. If you have a fatter behind the edge knife, yes, the convex may work better, but it would work better as a whole if the knife was properly thinned and then sharpened. Blade grind is more important than the style of the tiny edge bevel.

Post subject: Re: Convex edges or not
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:24 pm 

Thank you for clarifying that for me mostly I convex my bevels but if I put a really small micro bevel on top of the bevel then I do it slowly rocking from my feet so my hands are fairly relaxed and hold a consistent angle I also do this when stropping on the stone.
You also hit it on the head having started sharpening using an Edge Pro it took me a while to realise it does not matter how sharp the edge is if the shoulders of the bevel straight or convex are broad they get fouled on what they are cutting possible more so with broad flat bevel there can be a lot of friction on the faces of the bevel .

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2