It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tojiro DP vs. ITK Shirogami
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:23 am 

Hello,
I'm fairly new to these knives and was curious the difference between the two models offered? And if one was generally recommend over the other? I'd be looking at the 210 gyuto in either line.

As for me, I'm right handed and enjoy honing. My only experience is with average commercial brands (current set is shun). As for handle type, SS vs. carbon, etc., I'm open to try anything and don't have a strong preference one way or another. Visually, I'm drawn to the look of the Shirogami a little bit more.

If there's anything else in, or near, that price range worth looking at I'd be open to other suggestions too. I'm starting with Tojiro as I've read they are a good value.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Tojiro DP vs. ITK Shirogami
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

I like the Tojiro DPs over the Shirogami ITK stuff.

If you want a low priced carbon steel blade try some of the hand hammered carbon knives. The Yamashins are a good value and I like them better than the Tojiros.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yamashinknives.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:53 pm 

I have a DP gyuto and honesuki and the ITK 210mm gyuto, kiritsuke, and nakiri. Or I had the DP gyuto, but I gave it away. I use the kiritsuke and nakiri every day.

Personally I do not like the DP line. The handles are hefty, the blade is thick. If you like German style knives, you'll find that it's an improvement. But imo, it's not an enjoyable knife to use.

The ITK line is my first experience with carbon. They are reactive and take looking after (e.g. if you are cutting onions and stop to peel some of them, wipe the blade off before peeling otherwise you'll leave a brown residue for your first couple cuts). But the performance is worth it. The blade is much thinner, the edge more responsive to honing and easier to sharpen. But, as Mark points out, there are other options of a similar nature.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:45 pm 

Thank you both. I will consider the Yamashin as an alternative to the Tojiro. I may stretch my budget a bit to consider other options.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

This would be a nice step up.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

Obiwan - I'm going to chime in with an opposite view of the Tojiro DP Gyuto. IMO it's an awesome knife. The fit & finish on my sample is very good and I don't think the blade is thick at all. It's a very good performing knife and a pleasure to use. Again - IMHO.

That being said, if you currently have some Shun knives, you might not find the DP line enough of a jump in performance to warrant the purchase.

One of the best performing carbon 210 Gyutos for the money on CKTG is the Tanaka Kurouchi 210: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/taku21wa.html. You can check out Shaun's video review on the product page.

If you want to up your budget a bit and get something with MUCH higher performance, the new Kohetsu 210 Aogami Super Gyuto will blow your mind: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu21gy.html. It's double the price of the Tojiro DP, but it's worth every single penny.

Everyone has different opinions - these are mine :-).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:21 pm 

Thank you for the continued opinions. it is very helpful. @ SteveG- to be honest, that was part of my thoughts that had me moving away from the Tojiro DP. I thought it would be too similar to my current Shuns.

As for budget, it's all self imposed. I don't neccesarily "need" anything. Just a matter of want so I suppose I can raise my budget a bit if it puts me in a better class of knives. Just looking to get my feet wet in Japanese knives to be honest.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Obiwan - I think you're on the right train of thought concerning the Tojiro DP's. IMO you need to move up the food chain a few notches and look at nicer knives if you really want a significant jump in performance over your Shuns. The Kohetsu is Mark's newest offering and it's a phenomenal performer for the money. It's a very light, almost laser-like knife. If that's what interests you, this knife should be at the top of your candidate list. For heavier duty work, I'm assuming you've got some softer steel around.

If the Kohetsu doesn't speak to you and your needs/wants, then give us more info on what you prep, your cutting style, situation, etc. The more info the better.

On another topic, what stones, etc. do you use for sharpening? Sharpening/maintenance is just as important, if not more important, than the knives themselves. Even the best, sharpest knives OOTB will dull with use.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:27 pm 

As for stones, I'm a straight shaver and generally use mainly coticules and Japanese naturals. I do, however, have synthetics from 220 through 8k.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]