It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:25 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mono-Steel White #1?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:03 pm 

Hey, I've been looking around at several different knives lately and I'm pretty interested in finding a 270mm gyuto in white steel. I have been using a hiromoto AS and have been really happy with it although the cladding seems to dampen the feeling a little so I want to try carbon steel without cladding. I've looked at Tadatsuna, Konosuke, Sakai Yusuke and Masamoto KS as they are all unclad, mono-steel white #2. However, I figure if I'm going to try white steel, I really want to go all out with White #1 to see how stunning an edge I can make..

I've looked around a little bit, but I'd like some information on whether such a knife exists or whether I need to be looking for honyaki white #1 (expensive?). I would also like some information on the differences in White #2 monosteels used by Tadatsuna, Konosuke, Sakai Yusuke and Masamoto so if I can't get my hands on a pure White #1 I can at least play around with White #2..

Post subject: Re: Mono-Steel White #1?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:02 pm 

My understanding is the only "mono steeel" blade in the Kono lineup is the Honyaki and is ~$1000. Is that the knife you are talking about?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 am 

snipes wrote:My understanding is the only "mono steeel" blade in the Kono lineup is the Honyaki and is ~$1000. Is that the knife you are talking about?

So very wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:24 am 

So Jeff, are all the carbon Konos on the site mono steel or just some of them?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:40 am 
Forum Moderator

The White #2, HH and HD from Kono are all mono steel, as are the Sakai Yasuke's. The Kono Fujiyama series is clad, regardless of the core steel. For an all white #1, I usually only see them as clad blades or Honyaki from what I can remember right now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:23 pm 

Thanks Taz.
So I was mistaken in my original statement about the Kono lineup's WHITE mono steel blades as that is what the OP was asking about. I was fairly certain the Fujiyama series was clad. My point is Jeff's response of "So very wrong" was a bit harsh and uncalled for. Back to your regularly scheduled program. Apologies for the thread drift.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:50 pm 

snipes wrote:I was fairly certain the Fujiyama series was clad. My point is Jeff's response of "So very wrong" was a bit harsh and uncalled for.

You are absolutely right. It was the end of a very long and bad day and I let that one get away from me though that is no excuse. I sincerely apologize for the above comment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

MASIBU - I think you're splitting hairs a little to fine worrying about White #1 vs. White #2. They will both get as sharp as your skill level will allow when sharpening. The Kono White #2 (not Fujiyama series) would be a killer knife, as would the HD or HH versions. These knives are all so good, IMO it just depends on if you want full carbon, semi-stainless or full stainless for the blade.

If you like the idea of full carbon, patina, etc. go for it with the Kono White #2 or Sakai Yusuke!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:51 pm 

Jeff B wrote:
snipes wrote:I was fairly certain the Fujiyama series was clad. My point is Jeff's response of "So very wrong" was a bit harsh and uncalled for.

You are absolutely right. It was the end of a very long and bad day and I let that one get away from me though that is no excuse. I sincerely apologize for the above comment.

I've been there too. No worries :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]