It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:23 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: picking a knife
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:40 pm 

I down to two knives it is between the global nakiri and the goko nakiri I haven't owned either brands so any info would help thank you

Post subject: Re: picking a knife
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

JIM <> Don't be offended, but here's some common knowledge that no one let you in on. Global steel, Global profile, Global ergonomics, Global product is junk... absolute junk.. junkyard junk.

There is absolutely no comparing the Goko to it. Furthermore, be aware you're comparing a soft stainless blade to a stainless-clad hard carbon core blade. These knives couldn't be further from one another, and the Global is in the Bed Bath Beyond circle file. It's honestly insulting to compare hand forged Hitachi White #1 steel to Global garbage.

Buy the Goko & be wowed; buy the Global & be upset to learn from your hands-on experience you're another victim to the marketing machine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:34 pm 

Thanks Jim apparently its a no brainer Im gonna go with the goko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Heads up, my name is not Jim. I highlight your name as JIM <>, to address you before I speak. I could address you by segueing in with @JIM, but phuck Twitter.

In one of your other threads related to this one, I reference purchasing criteria. People resonate with the funniest of things, and to each their own... G-d knows most here think I'm crazy cuz I scoff at the bling handles. I'm a pragmatist, and as such, all I care about is a badass blade; I just want a blade that performs, but here's the simple truth. All the hand forged knives on this site are ALL premium products. You may prefer Shironiko over Aogami Super over K390, or you may prefer Honyaki forges over Warikomi clads over San Mai clads... you may prefer iron-clad over stainless-clad. WHO GIVES A SHIITE.?! Anything you want, it's here... and the best of it. It's my job to dial you in to what you want, but many can't even fathom what is available as it exists on a paradigm the American public turns a blind eye to. I'll stop ranting because I feel a fury growing, but understand this... I want you to have the most enjoyable piece of steel in your hand, and if you resonate with the Goko product... it is an admirable product to purchase. The Shirogami carbon steel core (aka, hagane) is capable of the keenest of edges. The heat treatment is not too extreme that you have to concern yourself with the pressing issue of chipping a blade; whereas at Hrc 60 you have better than soft-steel edge retention, and a durability that allows you to scrape the blade edge on the board or slightly twist the edge in transitioning from rock to rock w/o fearing you're going to chip your edge. It is stainless-clad so you have less carbon steel exposed to care for. It's a high value purchase as to expenditure...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:28 pm 

I'm guessing the real name of OP is Megg. Also guessing she is wondering what she got herself into.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:36 pm 

Im sorry I thought that was your name and I really appreciate all your help and your knife expertise. Also is there a different name you would like me to address you as

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:53 am 
Forum Moderator

His name is Joe, but most call him Mel :)

Nakiri's are a very fun knife for veggies, but they are not a cleaver. They are made for thin slicing veggies and stuff, not hacking through bones. The Goko should perform very well for you. It has a carbon steel core which can patina and react with food (discolor them, slight metallic taste). It will react at first and then settle down and you won't notice much reactivity, but it does need to be washed and fully dried after use or it can rust since the core is carbon. As Mel said, it will take a wickedly sharp edge fairly easily, too.

There is a questionaire to fill out when you are looking for a new knife recommendation that helps people here dial in to what you are looking for. As Mel said, there are a TON of choices out there between steel types and blade construction types. If you want carbon or stainless, single steel or clad steel, budget and handle style (western vs Wa) are some of the questions that help us dial in to a great knife for you!

Many Japanese knives are not as sharp as they can be out of the box. People prefer different edges based on what they are cutting, how they are cutting and what they are cutting on. They will usually be sharp, but not the sharpest/most refined that they can be. The Japanese makers prefer to let the customer put their own edge on it. Some Japanese knives come with an excellent edge on them

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:55 am 

jimsmegg wrote:I down to two knives it is between the global nakiri and the goko nakiri I haven't owned either brands so any info would help thank you

JimsMegg...

Not sure what price range you are in, but I just received this beauty on Friday from Mark, and it is SCHWEEEEEETTT! If you can afford this, it's a gem.

This is the Takeda original Nakiri with Aogami Super Steel, not the new stainless clad one. It is so light and sharp out of the box, my second Takeda and am very impressed. Not quite as large as I thought it would be, but performs better than my expectations.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:13 am 

taz575 wrote:

Many Japanese knives are not as sharp as they can be out of the box. People prefer different edges based on what they are cutting, how they are cutting and what they are cutting on. They will usually be sharp, but not the sharpest/most refined that they can be. The Japanese makers prefer to let the customer put their own edge on it. Some Japanese knives come with an excellent edge on them

But don't forget CKTG's sharpening service - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ckshsebyjomc.html. $20 and a few extra days before the knife ships, seems like a deal to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Goko Nakiri is so much more fun. It's handmade and has nice grinds and slips through food. The use good carbon steel clad with stainless and it's just in a whole other league compared to the Global.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gona16.html

They're also very sharp out of the box. All the ones I've tried can shave but I don't really consider that a great way to judge a knife.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next