It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stock stones loading up
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:31 pm 

I am a new user of the EP (about 3 weeks) and having a lot of problems with the stock stones loading up. Since I am still learning I use mainly the 220 and 400. After about 2 knives the stones are loaded up with metal and need cleaning/lapping. I use about 3 or 4 drops of dish soap in the squirt bottle that came with the kit and I wipe the stone off after I make one pass on one side of the blade.

According to Ben Dale the stones are self cleaning and I need to move the stone slower and use just enough pressure so that the stone bites in to the blade.

I realize there is a learning curve but the stones loading up is giving me fits. Maybe some of the more experienced EP users can chime in. Was stone loading a problem when you first started using the EP? Any suggestions other than what I have already tried?

Thanks - Mike

Post subject: Re: Stock stones loading up
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:52 pm 

Thats just the way the stock ep stones are. They like to trap particles and the make a mess. After about two knives they will be out of true enough that they need lapping anyways. But while in use i found it helpfull to use a small spray bottle to spritz the stones rather than use the dropper/finger method to move slurry around on the stone.

Other than that you can go to a set like the shaptons or choseras. They dont clog near as bad but they will still need to be flattened on a regular basis. Also it only takes literally a drop of dish soap.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:39 pm 

Sadden – thanks for the input! It’s very frustrating to have the stones load up so quick, especially when I am still learning how to use the EP. I’ll just keep plugging along with the stock stones I guess and maybe someday buy a Shapton or two. Best regards.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:18 pm 

1. use a ton of water
2. use a ton of water
3. soak the stone until they will not take any more water
4. soak for 15 minutes after that
5. use a spray bottle with an adjustable nossel, spray the stone every-time you flip the knife, with a jet type spray
6. if you notice it loading up, wet and us rubb you finger over it and spray off
if that dont work well.... use waited to long to do it do this:
7.use a paper towel (dry) on the wet stone, and vigorously rub, it will pull most of it out
8. rinse the paper that rubs off with the spray bottle
9. spary the slurry off the knife.

when i sharpen,
(this assume from 120>1000 progression, the high grit stones are easier to clean)
1. i start with dripping wet stone, i make 5 stokes and spray stone/knife off
continue till you are done with that side
2. spray and wipe off knife
3. clean stone with finger method
4. sharpen other side like #1 above
6. when done with grit clean everything off and load next stone repeat above 1-6

get angle cube... keeps angel steady and prevent unnecessary load up

yes this take longer and yes as you go higher in the grit less cleaning needed, but i have not had to flatten my stone because of load up in like a year.

I learned this what i got my 8K glass stone must use ton of water!!!

hope this helps

i have my pro in an old baking pan that 3inch deep to catch the water, no messes this way just drain after i'm done

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]