It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:39 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Moritaka Supreme Petty 130 Vs Richmond Aogami 120
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:27 pm 

The Super laser Aogami is not in stock for a while. Comparing it to the Moritaka I understand the stainless advantage on the Richmond. My questions is I rolled an edge before on a Moritaka Supreme Nakiri once before and thanks for the repair Shaun! (heavier German have and past German knife user). I won't be chopping with the Petty and if so very lightly. But both knives considered is one less prone to chipping and or hold an edge better? I'm thinking If I get the Moritaka might be best re profiling after a while to increase the grind angle if needed...I'm also thinking the Richmond might be touched up as needed before they go out the door... Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Moritaka Supreme Petty 130 Vs Richmond Aogami 120
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Will,

You called earlier and spoke to Sue, correct? She says hello. :)

The steel on the 2 knives is the same and they're both heat treated in a very similar way. When the edge fails (either chipping or rolling) it's an indication that your edge is too thin for whatever it encountered when chopping. So, widening the edge just a tad usually solves the problem. Or if you want to keep the edge the same you can adjust your cutting style and/or the surface you cut on. All of these will have an effect on the edge.

My laser is thin on the edge which is why it has great performance out of the box. Aogami super is pretty hard so you just want to be aware of this when you use the knife. If it does chip you simply can sharpen it a little less acute and it should be good to go.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]