It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:59 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: How is this for a free hand sharpening set?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi again Mark, that sounds great! Im going to try free hand sharpening, so I need some stones and other accessories. Right now i got some global knifes to practice with, but the goal is to buy a more high end knife later on. Thinking of a Takeda. This is a little list that i have come up with.

Shapton glass, 3pc 500-6000
Delux stone holder
DMT extra extra coarse
Strop kit
Deburr block
Angel cube

Does this work or do I need to modify the list? Something else i need that i have forgot?

Thanks!

/Karl J

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: How is this for a free hand sharpening set?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Karl,

You can do without the angle cube. It's not very easy to use for free hand sharpening. You can easily go on google and find and print out a 10 degree or 15 degree angle and use that as a guide to give you an idea of the proper angle. If you have a smart phone you can get an app that will show you the angle too.

Also if you get the strop kit I recommend you get some 1 micron diamond spray for the balsa strop. you can use the leather strop without anything on it but the balsa needs diamond spray or paste:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/1midisp10cah.html

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

That's actually a really good set... personally, if it were my set, it'd be Shapton Glass 320, 1k, 6k.

I'd 86 the angle cube like you already suggested, and probably get some either 1 micron or half micron diamond to follow up on your balsa strop. Otherwise that kit will give you any kind of edge you ever need and do it well. After all the stones I've tested, I know I can always break out the glass stones and get it done no matter what. That XXC diamond plate is excellent to get some slurry going as well on your low grit stone and speed things up. Again, if you use the diamond plate for flattening and slurry only, instead of sharpening, it will last you a VERY long time. I've used mine almost daily for over a year now and it's still good. I do occasionally use it to set a bevel here and there when I'm really impatient and don't feel like going to the grinder.

Anyhow, not sure how good of a sharpener you are yet, but rest assured that if you have the patience a true 6k edge will surely impress. It's about as sharp as you ever need to take a kitchen knife, and it's one of my favorite stopping points as of late on my knives as well.

Good luck Karl, let us know if we can help any time!

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:30 pm 

Knife Fanatic wrote:... personally, if it were my set, it'd be Shapton Glass 320, 1k, 6k. I'd 86 the angle cube like you already suggested....

+1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:28 pm 

It will be the first time ever sharpening this way, shall be fun to try it out. I was a bit worried about how much is an angle of 10-15 were. Looks so
easy on all the utube clips, i guess it takes some time and patience to get the hang of it. The plan with DMT stone was to lapping the other stones i guess.
I think there was a 1 micron spray included in that strop kit.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]