It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: James tearing up an onion. :)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jmbullman wrote:Comments anyone? Are we alive out dar.

Please don't misunderstand this, but exactly what kind of comments are you looking for on a video of someone cutting a vegetable :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:37 am 
Forum Moderator

Just trying to keep the flow of this new forum flowing no misunderstanding taken. Just like my memorial post in general discussion I figured their would be more comments. No biggie. Peace to all bullman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

And besides that I had plenty of comments after I said that so trying to understand what gives? Bullman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jmbullman wrote:And besides that I had plenty of comments after I said that so trying to understand what gives? Bullman

BULLMAN <> I was simply curious if you got what you were looking for. I was thinking you might have been looking for someone to talk about something specifically, or you were hoping someone would pick up on something in the video that wasn't mentioned...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:21 am 
Forum Moderator

Not a prob I was just showing u don't have to spend hundreds of dollars to have a decient knife. No prob here I am easy going just didn't understand what u were saying now I do. See lessons are still being learned. Bullman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:44 am 
Forum Moderator

BULLMAN <> :P Absolutely, no problems. F***, Im here to relax & talk about knives.

I have frequented many forums, never cutlery forums, and one thing I know is - it is difficult to get a complete read from text. Peoples' inflection, humor or lack thereof, efficiency or inefficiency with language is so lost in text, people often misinterpret others. I work ridiculous hours, and my only time here is while entertaining utter exhaustion. My synapses aren't always firing properly if you get my drift...

Peace out... I have to go dream about receiving a quote on my requested Konosuke custom. 8-) :mrgreen: 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:41 pm 

Sharpening for me is almost like my meditation, but I'm not sure I totally agree about sharp cheap knives, heres why and it could be my fault or the fault of others.

My parents have a whole set from bed bath and beyond of calapholon knives, with that fantastic german steel and what not. Anyway my parents are used to cutting with dull knives (bad cutting habits) but one day I took all their knives and put the best edge I could on them. So everyone was real happy and couldn't believe how much better and easier it was to cut with a truly sharp knife.

About 1-2 weeks later I grab the chefs knife to do some prep for my mom and the thing was so freaking dull, so I just chalked that one up to me putting too steep of an edge on em. So I go back and resharpen all of them about 5 degrees steeper (my guesstimation) and pretty much the same thing occurs within one to two weeks they are dull again.

Basically these knives will not hold an edge worth a darn, I have found if I strop them on a fine stone before use that works great.

This is light home use as well, I was also cutting french fries out of potatoes, stropped the knife on a fine stone beforehand and i swear before I was done it needed to be re-stropped.

But also to add these knives have been run through the dishwasher a million times, I'm just frustrated I can't seem to get them to hold any reasonable edge whatsoever. This is just my experience, they did work great when they were sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:05 am 
Forum Moderator

I agree with u for the most part but this is a Japanese or swidish steel I was told very similar to the forschners, I love the wasabi line if you don't want to drop your load on shuns its a great alternative and I like the profile better, keep in mind this is the cheapest set I own and I personally love them, I think I know which calaphons I are talking about I just did some and they were junk but if u look of its the same one it says Taiwan and cr mo v with no numbers. Analon knives are the same way and furis speak for themselves at least the wasabi say diaodo steel and s40 I belie be, whatever it is I can go through a bag of taters and onions and hit it with a borosilicate rod and good to go. Peace and thanks bullman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've actually heard that the Wasabi used a powdered metal. Probably low grade PM, but still, I bought my Dad a Wasabi a couple of years ago, and he loves it. Takes a decent edge too. Didn't Shun discontinue the Wasabi line?

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:37 am 
Forum Moderator

Nope just got the new catalog there in their. Peace bullman

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next