It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:14 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Should I buy a Tormek
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:15 am 

Hello
I have used water stones for about 2 years now. I am not a regular sharpener and I have a lot to learn jet. My edge are jet not even. Especially in the tip area I have struggeled to get an even egde. I can get push cutting paper sharp edges, but i take a lot of time and I struggle to get the knife push paper cutting sharp in all areas (again the tip).

This guy get very good results with an Tormek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYURcwkKGPs

Should I buy a Tormek and drop my stones, or keep practice?
What are the Tormek drawback beside the hollow grind ?

Post subject: Re: Should I buy a Tormek
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:38 am 

I had a Tormek for many years. When you refer to a hollow grind, really you're referring to the secondary edge, not the primary. Depending on how you move your blade over the stone you can create a hollow grind, convex grind or a flat grind. The Tormek was a hell of a machine and I could see the attractiveness in a shop type setting where one has many different tools that need to be maintained daily, or a commercial setting pumping out alot of knives.

That being said, I sold mine because no machine or jig could replace the satisfaction gained from producing a superior edge with only my own two hands and a stone. Continue to invest yourself in this ancient art and you won't be sorry. I have friends from Norway and as you know, your country is rich with history of the blade in daily life along with men and women that knew how to handle themselves with the whetstone. Take the time to really read through the threads on this site, there's a wealth of information. You'll also find some great youtube videos on the subject as well. I would highly recommend Murray Carters DVDs.

Don't give up!

Josh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:58 pm 

The Tormek is a good tool for many applications. But the best sharpening system for knives is still your two hands and practice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:01 pm 

pjwoolw wrote:The Tormek is a good tool for many applications. But the best sharpening system for knives is still your two hands and practice.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:15 pm 

"Should I buy a Tormek?"

You'll be disappointed.....

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:28 am 

Okay
I will practice more with my stone and not use about 800$ on a Tormek.
Maybe I should buy me more knives from Chef Knives To Go since I now have saved some money:)
I should definitely buy the Bamboo 150 grit since I need a coarse stone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:50 pm 

I can vouch that the Tormek does a good job, and even better job with a 4K stone. But if all you sharpen is knives, you can exceed the grit limitations of the Tormek with hand sharpening.

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:51 pm 

I've been using a Tormek since 2004, and i'm still quite happy with it.
My current Tormek T7 is fitted with a Black Silicon stone, and i use it to reprofile various kinds of (kitchen) knives (even ceramic ones), sharpen hunting knives, scissors, chisels, etc.
Main limitation is that it's nowhere near as fast as a belt grinder, but it more than makes up for it by grinding everything stone cold due to the water cooling, which is especially important when reprofiling already rather thin knife edges.
For refinement i mostly use various Rubber Wheels as well as Paper Wheels coated with different grades of diamond compound.

Below an example of the edges i get from the Tormek Black Silicon stone (and a little hand stropping on leather with 6 micron diamond compound to remove the burr and produce a slightly convex microbevel)

ImageImage

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:31 pm 

I use my Tormek to sharpen scissors/shears, probably 100 per year, and it does a decent job. These are low end items used in a flower shop. I also sharpen their knives on it, but they don't really want sharp, as we know it, they just want "not dull."

I've used my Tormek to sharpen chisels, plane blades, hatchets, and a myriad of my lathe tools. It does a decent job at all of it, but I've found better.

I wouldn't dream of sharpening a "real" knife on it.

The OP asked about it for sharpening Japanese knives, correct?

If you're push cutting paper, even with part of the blade, you're on the right track. Stick with it.

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Never used the machine but I've seen it. I don't think I would get better edges with it than my current free hand routine.

Can you tell us your sharpening routine? Maybe we can give you some tips.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next