It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:38 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kono White #2 Fujiyama vs White #2 210 Gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:43 pm 

Hi:

Konosuke 210mm White #2 Gyuto vs
Konosuke White #2 Fujiyama Gyuto 210mm Ho handled.
I have decided the I want a short 210mm mono steel gyuto.
The handmade aspect of the Fujiyama is very appealing.
Is there significant weight, profile or geometry difference?
I can wait for the White #2 to come back in stock but the Fujiyama is calling to me.
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Kono White #2 Fujiyama vs White #2 210 Gyuto
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

The White #2 (regular) is a laser knife, extremely thin overall with a relatively flat grind. The Fujiyama is little thicker, but has a very good convex and the same thinness right behind the edge as the regular White #2.

If it were my choice I'd grab that Fujiyama in a heartbeat, but if you are looking for a knife that is strictly a laser, then the regular White #2 will fit the bill.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:15 pm 

Shaun:
That's what I was afraid you'd say.
Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:43 pm 

I can't see there being $100 more performance in the Fujiyama. Get the White #2 and use the extra $100 to have Tim put a custom handle on it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:22 pm 

Hmmm, after using both HD and Fujiyama, the Fuji just calls to me. Something magical about it. I've actually wondered, "Do I need the HD? Will I always reach for the Fuji?"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:23 am 
Forum Moderator

The HD is nice if you want a lighter weight knife, or the HD aspect of the steel vs the more reactive Fuji. The Fuji has more convexing and is clad, so it will go thru foods differently than the HD and feel different than a mono steel knife. Good to have both, or several! I notice a difference in my Kono Blue #2 Honyaki and the Kono Ultimatum in HD, the Honyaki just feels more powerful/substantial and the thicker steel really shows off the grind/performance over the thinner Laser type grind on the HD.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:08 pm 

The Blue #2 Fujiyama Funiyaka Gyuto was calling me, but I got involved in work the day I was going to order it and snipes sniped the last one in stock. That left the HD whispering in one ear, the White #2 whispering in the other, and the Fujiyama White #1 Gyuto 240 mm jumping up and down in front of me yelling, “Pick me! Pick me!” The Fujiyama Blue #2 Gyuto was lurking in the background, but everything I had seen on this forum pointed me toward a 240, not a 210 or a 270.

I listened to those who knew more than I, and to my inner self, got the Fujiyama White #1 240, and have been simply awed. Granted, I have nothing to compare it to - unless you count Wüsthofs and Henckels - but...O...M...G!!!!

The knife is gorgeous, balanced, sharp sharp sharp, and feels just so...so...right! Yes, the steel is reactive, but the patina it is taking on is a very interesting rainbow of colors. You can avoid the patina if you don't want one, but I rather like it.

You might look at the Masakage Koishi 240 mm, which has sneaked into “in stock” status lately. I got the Koishi Petty 150 mm at the same time, and it is also incredible.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]