It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Masakage Yuki vs Konosuke HD 240
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Mark I was wondering if you knew the weight on the masakage yuki gyuto 240mm
Also how would you say this compares to the kono hd 240mm

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Masakage Yuki vs Konosuke HD 240
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:28 am 
Forum Moderator

In raw performance... I might have to give the edge to the Masakage, barely? We are splitting hairs here in terms of raw cutting power, so I think you should maybe make your decision based on other factors such as fit and finish, handle, and just overall profile. Is this going to be used in a professional kitchen or at home? And if a pro kitchen, what kind of work will you be doing?

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:43 am 

Home kitchen. Ease of sharpening and low reactivity is important to me as well. Do you know how much the masakage weighs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

We will have specs on the page today.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Here is how I would compare them:

Aesthetics: Yuki (I love the look)
Performance: Kono
Fit and finish: Kono
Ease of sharpening: Push (they're both easy)
Handle quality: Kono
Handle Aesthetics: Yuki
Reactivity: Kono (Yuki is stainless with carbon steel edge so it's a hard comparison)
Weight: Kono is lighter
Price: Yuki
Hand Made: Yuki (it's hammer forged vs laser cut for the kono)
Toughness: Push (maybe slight edge for the Yuki)

That's most likely more than you would ever want to know about them. Basically the yuki has a more hand made, cool look at a better price. The kono is a great knife with excellent overall cutting perfomance with excellent fit and finish. I don't think you would go wrong with either of them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:56 pm 

One other question related to the kono, does the ebony handle change the balance point so it's more handle heavy. That knife is absolutely beautiful but might be out of my price range

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:35 am 

I have a Kono 240 HD and a Katsushige Anryu 240, which I believe is very similar to the Masakage Yuki ( Katsushige works for Masakage and the specs are almost identical except for the white/blue carbon.) The knives are different. The Kono is a laser. The Masakage Yuki is slightly heavier, more robust, leaning towards the Workhorse category. Comparing the two, I would say Mark is correct on most points. The Kono will require more maintenance for reactivity than the Masakage. My Anryu takes a sharper edge that the Kono. Performance wise, it depends on the task. I also think the Yuki would be tougher.

If you want something in between, the Richmond AS Laser would fit the bill.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

Just for clarification on my post about stating the Masakage has good "raw cutting power", this is a statement that holds true for ingredients that are shorter. Taller ingredients the Konosuke has better performance because the overall blade is thinner and convexed a little better due to no kurouchi finish. In other words, they are about the same thinness behind the edge with the Kono being a thinner knife overall, hence Mark's statement about the Kono performing better.

As a home cook I'd probably go after the Masakage because it performs extremely well and looks a little cooler IMO too. Plus, the little bit of extra weight is less of an issue at home and actually increases the cutting power of the knife in many cases. As a pro cook I'd have to grab the Kono, mainly because it is lighter and thinner, and I try to steer people away from Kurouchi knives in a pro setting, although the Masakage's finish is stainless and probably never going to come off you know for sure that the Kono is golden in that category.

The ebony handle will bring the balance point "slightly" further back, but I'm pretty sure the knife will still be blade heavy. If anything the perceived weight could be slightly less with the balance point closer to the pinch grip, but only Mark knows that for sure as I don't have one in my hands at the moment.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]