It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Handle help needed.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hey guys, my name is James and I recently purchased a tojiro itk kiritsuke last week. I received the knife this week and im really digging it so far. I was aware prior to ordering that the fit and finish on the knife is basic and thats ok. I bought the knife specifically so I could have a go at making my own Wa-style handle. I read on the forum that this can be easily done on these models of knives and that from time to time you sell the same model with a custom handle. Before I go messing with a perfectly good knife however, I am curious as to how the handle is fastened to the tang. Is it expoxied? Form fit and hammered on? Im aware of the techniques to remove the handle itself but If it has been expoxied into place Id like to know so I dont bend or crack any part of the blade. please let me know when you can! thanks so much!
James
p.s. amazing shipping times! not my last purchase for you guys!

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Handle help needed.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

They come off pretty easily. Just tap it off with a hammer. I think they're just burned in.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:51 am 

I just did one, and dont recall any issues with getting the old handle off, which means it was pretty easy. I only remember the ones that are a pain in the back side.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:03 am 

Here's video from Maxim Enevoldsen that shows the best way (in my opinion) to remove a wa handle. I've used this technique many times with success for handles that aren't epoxied on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZajZh8aps6Q

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:17 am 
Forum Moderator

They are a normal burned in handle. I wrap the blade with several layers of tape, and then use a long flat piece of wood resting on the ferrule and along the length of the blade to knock the handle off. I use another piece of wood or a hammer to hit the long wood piece. Use a much longer wood piece that way if the handle pops off easily, you don't hit the blade. These knives have a fairly long tang; I often shorten Japanese Wa tangs when rehandling them.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]