It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mcusta Zanmai Knives
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:02 pm 

Hey guys. Does anyone have any information or personal experience with any of these knives? I can't seem to find anything on them. The specific knife I'm referring to is: http://www.phoenixknifehouse.com/zanmai ... gyuto.html

Any info would be appreciated! Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Mcusta Zanmai Knives
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

I was offered these knives a couple years ago but declined. Too many overpriced VG10 knives in the market for me to mess with them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:42 am 

I have a 240 gyuto and a 150 petty. Nicely made knives, handles are well made. There's a few different lines, pebbles and ridges or something like that. I think Mcusta overall is a good company as I have some of there hunting and folding knives as well. . They are pretty blade heavy to me. Like Mark said they remind me of other VG10 knives like Kasumi and Shun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:13 am 

We recently bought a Mcusta petty utility knife from Phoenix knife house, the one with the corian handle. I really liked the feel and balance compared to other parers/pettys. It also had a nice collar area-it fit just perfect for a pinch hold. Although I like some other parers/pettys, It seemed to have a perfect place for my thumb around the collar. It moves very easy through vegetables. The purchase was based in a very personal experience.

On the other hand, Mark is right - there is lots of options when it comes to VG10 and other metals. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the gyuto when compared with the all the other options, like the takayuki damascus, artifex, and Maruyoshi HD. Phoenix knife house sells some excellent knives, but some of them are also available here under different brand names.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:07 am 

It's a nice knife and they do a good heat treatment on the VG-10. It has what they call a hybrid handle that's kinda Wa shaped with a metal "bolster". It can also be removed by tapping out the pin in the handle making cleaning or repair work a little easier.

It's not my personal favorite but it is a attractive knife.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]