It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: difference between diamond sprays....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:14 am 

pardon my ignorance, as i am not a stropping expert..... i've been looking into diamond sprays as they seem to give the best edges out of stuff.

what's the difference between the stuff that handamerican sells and what ken sells?

i read something about poly and mono diamonds?

can someone here help me figure it all out.

i am looking into these things as i am curious as to how these will effect the sharpness of my knives and my possibly my straight razors (really crappy ones, just to play around with, gold dollar)

thanks

Post subject: Re: difference between diamond sprays....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:50 am 

I don't think you can go wrong with either Hand American or Ken. Both are high quality formations. The nice thing about Ken is that he likes to talk and so you can call him to discuss your plan for using the formulations and he will give you plenty of advice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:54 am 

can't really make a call that easily with the time difference and, well.... cost of calling overseas =D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Poly is way faster than Mono.

Poly leaves a more harsh scratch pattern than Mono.

Poly works better on harder steels than Mono.

Poly is way more expensive than Mono.

That's the basics....

:)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:15 am 

The most important thing when you start to move onto compounds (especially anything sub 1 micron) is that you have a quality progression of stones leading up to your strop/compound pairing. And that you use a quality compound such as the ones sold by Mr , Ken Schwartz. Consistant Particle Size and Quality typically means more here than anything else.

So what are you using now for stones? And what types of steel do you sharpen?
For most CBN will be more than enough to get you through most knives. And if you really wanna play with some fine stuff then Mono 0.050 and 0.025 is more cost effective than Poly

Mono and Poly will cut abrasion resistant steels and ceramic knives.

CBN will cut abrasion resistant steels andshould cut ceramic. It has not been confirmed yet. I was working on it last week but I ran into other issues that prevented me from being able to give a definitive answer...

Boron Carbide is cheap and works well on a wide variety of steels. Theres a limited amount of the stuff out there though. 3k , 5k and 8k available through ken , and 1 micron (15k) available from Hand America.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:43 am 

i got a few different steels

s30v, s35vn, blue 2, aeb-l, 14c28n, vg-10, 1095 etc.

=D

as for the stones that I have, i just have a few. for a coarse stone, i use a cheap carborundum stone (works well enough even on s35vn and s30v), a nubutama 1k bamboo gold, and a suehiro rika, i have a cheap jnat that was said to be good for straight razors and bought it solely for that. and as we know natural stones can sometimes be a crap shoot.

bought from jeff b here his arashiyama stones both the 1k and 6k, i'll be paying for that tomorrow so i'll recieve those in a couple weeks or so for variety. lol.

thank you for the explanations.

i plan on getting a few more stones, i know what to get next so that's not a problem. =D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

"can't really make a call that easily with the time difference and, well.... cost of calling overseas =D"

Franz, send me some email at ksskss@earthlink.net and we can get setup over Skype to chat at no expense OR just email me your phone number and I'll give you a call.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:00 am 

thanks ken for the offer but i think i've learned what i needed to know =D

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]