It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:30 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kono HH Ebony
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I'm interested in the Konosuke HH gyuto in 270mm and was wondering if you could fill me in on some of the details for the ebony handled version. I assume general blade geometry and profile are the same as on the magnolia handle. However, how much does the ebony handle add to the overall weight and affect the balance point? The ho HH is 164g but the ebony's product page doesn't specify. In addition, how is the wear and moisture resistance of both ho and ebony? I understand ho is usually stabilized while ebony is not. Will they need to be treated with mineral oil from time to time? Do all ebony handled Konosukes come with the blonde buffalo horn ferrule? I think the combo makes for stunning look. Why not have a knife that you enjoy using and enjoy looking at the same time. Additionally, do sayas become looser as you sharpen over time?

Of course the elephant in the room is the much more popular Kono HD/2 series. It almost seems like sacrilege to not get an HD. Are they both What has been your experience (and customers') between the two steels? Ostensibly it's AEB-L in the HH so how does ability to take a fine edge, edge retention, toughness etc. compare.

Concerning edge length, I know it's not unusual to find wa handled J-knives with slightly shorter actual edge length than advertised ie. 231.23mm for a 240mm gyuto. However both the HD2 and HH 270's pages say that the edge length is actually 270mm. Is this true for the ebony handled versions and is there a reason the 270mm versions are particularly accurate to 270mm?

Finally, what's your current shipping policy in regards to Canada where carrier, expedited/ground, duties/taxes are concerned?

Sorry for the flurry of questions. I mainly want to know about the ho vs ebony measurements. Hope you enjoy the rest of Labour Day.

Anthony

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Kono HH Ebony
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

How much does the ebony handle add to the overall weight and affect the balance point?

It weighs a little more. Balance is pretty is not affected very much at all.

The ho HH is 164g but the ebony's product page doesn't specify.

I'll post the weight and other stats on the page shortly.

In addition, how is the wear and moisture resistance of both ho and ebony?

It won't be a problem if you care for the knife properly. Don't leave it in a sink full of water or dish wash it and it will be fine.

I understand ho is usually stabilized while ebony is not. Will they need to be treated with mineral oil from time to time?

A drop of oil on the ebony once in a while is fine.

Do all ebony handled Konosukes come with the blonde buffalo horn ferrule?

Yes we request them this way and most of them are blond. A few have marbled ferrules that are super cool looking but they're rare.

Do sayas become looser as you sharpen over time?

Yes they do! But it takes a long time.

Of course the elephant in the room is the much more popular Kono HD/2 series. It almost seems like sacrilege to not get an HD. Are they both What has been your experience (and customers') between the two steels? Ostensibly it's AEB-L in the HH so how does ability to take a fine edge, edge retention, toughness etc. compare.

2 years ago we had Konosuke harden the HH steel more and after that they have been really good. No big difference in perfomance but a small difference in stainless vs semi stainless.

Concerning edge length, I know it's not unusual to find wa handled J-knives with slightly shorter actual edge length than advertised ie. 231.23mm for a 240mm gyuto. However both the HD2 and HH 270's pages say that the edge length is actually 270mm. Is this true for the ebony handled versions and is there a reason the 270mm versions are particularly accurate to 270mm?

I think they run a little short of 270. Konosuke measures the area between the heel and handle and includes this in the length. Again, I'll measure and put it on the page.

Phew!!!

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:11 pm 

I have a 240 HH but no HD. The HH gets as sharp as I am capable of making it and quite easily I'll say. I honestly can not imagine being able to make the HD any sharper than I can the HH.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, thanks for answering my questions and posting on the forum Mark!

The good news is the weight (7 oz is 200 grams~?) is still pretty low for me for a 270mm gyuto. I think it's interesting that the edge length varies even between handle versions (261 vs 270). Is it just the nature of the manufacturing process and knife to knife may vary? Not a big deal since it's only 9mm but in a perfect world I would choose the longer "better bang for buck" =P... but then again not like the Ultimatum's 285mm "bang"! I'm still doing some research on the HD2 series too but any indication if you'll carry ebony versions of the other HH knives (sujis, pettys; I think I've seen a Konosuke wa-paring HD at a local shop here but I don't know if wa-paring is a bad idea altogether)?

I must commend your site for having such a big selection. I've been eyeing Choseras for awhile but they're too expensive (especially for the 10k). The Edge Pro version sounds like a good value (relatively) for such high quality stones. I'm not very good with freehand and the precision sounds great!

Anthony

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure the HH, HD and White #2 are all the same specs. 261mm is the actual length for the 270mm gyuto on these.

Try the Imanishi 10K. I think it's every bit as good as the Chosera at 1/3 the price.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/im10fist.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]