It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:03 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Looking for portable stones for on site sharpening
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:14 am 

Thanks for all the responses. I'd love the glass stones as they're dead sexy, but I really worry about finding cases for them. The place I found that has GS cases wants $30.00 just to ship to Canada. The Shapton Pros solve that problem and I'm sure they would work well for what I want. My only concern with the Pros is their fragility when they get thin, but I guess I'd have a year or better before I had to worry about that. Of course, if Mark were to tell me he found 2 Pro cases sitting in the back, I'd get the 1 and 4 k glass stones.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:14 am 

email ken123, I bet he has a few Shapton cases.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:57 am 

seanp wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I'd love the glass stones as they're dead sexy, but I really worry about finding cases for them. The place I found that has GS cases wants $30.00 just to ship to Canada. The Shapton Pros solve that problem and I'm sure they would work well for what I want. My only concern with the Pros is their fragility when they get thin, but I guess I'd have a year or better before I had to worry about that. Of course, if Mark were to tell me he found 2 Pro cases sitting in the back, I'd get the 1 and 4 k glass stones.

Check your PMs. I can help you with this. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:10 am 

check out the shapton glass stone field holder

=D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:19 pm 

Thanks to the great folks on this site (I'm looking at you, Paradox...) I've been able to go ahead and order the 1 and 4k Glass Stones. Now praying to the Customs Gods for a blind eye to be turned my way.
New stones...oh yeah!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:08 pm 

franzb69 wrote:check out the shapton glass stone field holder

=D

Thanks for the suggestion. I did look at the field holder but
a) it's 90 bucks. I also won't be getting the $110 regular holder or the $280 flattener any time soon, either. I'm willing to pay for quality stones, but the accessories have to take a back seat.
b) I wanted something that fully enclosed the stones, as these guys are going to be travelling in a knapsac in all kinds of weather. The field holder has open sides and top, unless there's a cover that isn't shown in any of the photos or literature online.
c) it's 90 bucks. Really, Shapton? Really?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:28 am 

seanp wrote:Thanks to the great folks on this site (I'm looking at you, Paradox...) I've been able to go ahead and order the 1 and 4k Glass Stones. Now praying to the Customs Gods for a blind eye to be turned my way.
New stones...oh yeah!

I just got home from running some errands. One of them was stopping at the post office to drop your box in the post. I am glad I could help. ;) I bet you'll end up using something to line the boxes to prevent any movement of the stones? Maybe some small bubble wrap or I would probably cut up a bar mop/dish towel to size and line the boxes that way.. I'll be interested to hear how it works out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:50 am 
Forum Moderator

The Shaptons feel a bit different from the Choceras and are a bit harder in general. But the Shaptons are the ideal stones for splash and go applications. I'm inclined to agree with Mark that the Glassstones are thinner so you are carrying less weight even with the glass backing. The Pro stones do have their own cases which is an advantage especially when putting stones away wet. As I cut Shapton Pro stones, I have extra Shapton Pro cases, so you can put the GS stones in the Pro cases - best of both worlds :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:37 pm 

ken123 wrote: As I cut Shapton Pro stones, I have extra Shapton Pro cases, so you can put the GS stones in the Pro cases - best of both worlds :)

---
Ken

A reply from Ken! I feel honoured.
Ken, that's exactly what I ended up going with (with Scott's help). Maybe you and Mark could discuss you restocking him with some of those Shapton Pro cases - I would have had a much easier decision if I could have ordered the Glass Stones with cases.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'll ask Mark to get some more from me. I have a BUNCH of them.. Of course shipping them to Mark and then to you adds to the cost as they take up as much space as full cases to ship.

Sean contact me anytime at ksskss@earthlink.net . My PM box is overflowing pretty often here so email is best.

---
Ken

Page 2 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next