It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to care for stones?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:16 am 
Site Admin

One more question: What's your recommendation for the best way to maintain/dry stones after use and the best way to store them?

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: How to care for stones?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:42 am 

I have an extra dish drainer that I use to let them dry. I'll leave them there overnight, and the rest of the next day, then usually put them back in the box. My Arashiyama's dry fairly quick, but I like to make sure they're fully dry.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:24 am 

Stones that recommend splash-n-go I just splash-n-go everything else I perma-soak.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

For my soaker stones I let them air dry on the counter overnight. Then I stack them in my kitchen cabinets with a couple chop sticks inbetween each stone I stack so they have air flow. The big no no is to put them in extreme environments like in your garage if you live in a cold climate. The water that is in the stones can freeze and crack them. High heat is also not that great either.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:07 pm 

Same as Jason B., here. I perma-soak everything but splash-n-goes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:07 pm 

Would you guys perma soak a 500 grit bester and 5 k rika?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:33 pm 

How often do you need to change the water when permasoaking or do you use chemicals?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:23 am 
Forum Moderator

CHRIS <> Perma soaking is personal preference. Jason is a professional sharpener that probably uses a plethora of stones everyday. It behooves him to have a myriad of stones at the ready w/no time to soak individual stones as needed for individual situations. There are those who perma-soak in low usage scenarios, but I don't see why. I'm not saying one way is better than the other, but you are going to encounter those with opinions on both sides of the spectrum. I can't say there is clear consensus, but I'd have to say it leans to air drying your stones. My position is unless you're sharpening daily why perma soak? I have never found myself in a position to sharpen that I wasn't aware I was going to sharpen at least 10-15 minutes prior. Most stones are fine with at least that soak. Coarse stones like a Beston 500 that need a half hour are only going to be used on knives that really need some work, and knives that really need work, you can prepare for as you know they really need work.

There are many of whom believe that perma-soaking can weaken the bonded abrasive particles compressed in the stone. Stones like Choseras are notorious for cracking purportedly from perma-soaking. Stones like the Kitayama are known to soften up from perma-soaking due to their magnesium content.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:50 pm 

I leave my stones standing on their side on a towel on the counter overnight after sharpening. The next day everything goes back in their respective boxes and I put everything in a plastic storage tub and store in a closet until the next sharpening session.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:06 pm 

I agree with Melampus, I usually only sharpen once a week. Permasoaking isn't necessary for me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]