It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sharpening a Ceramic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:03 am 

Looks amazing, great job!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:53 am 
Forum Moderator

SADDEN <> BEAUTIFUL WORK & kudos on the Veho. I gotta get me one this season...

DEREK & OTAKU <> Diamond is harder than ceramic. Synthetics & rocks just aren't hard enough to sharpen ceramic.

MARK <>

http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3384

http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/zirconia-206-ceramic-t2559.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:54 pm 

Thank you for all the kind words. The knife looks really pretty but yet its nowhere near as sharp as it should be. After a couple lengthy discussions with ken and some R&D we think that it might be a couple things. But right now i believe that the atomas even the 1200 leaves some very minute micro chipping. Going to completely redo this knife over the next couple days as im not happy at all with the performance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Correct!

:)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:22 am 
Forum Moderator

SADDEN <> I experience the same microchipping on the Atomas, but after the diamond films it all refines out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:59 am 
Forum Moderator

It does seem like the 1200 Atoma still leaves some residual microchipping, so I suggested going to a 15 micron diamond film initially, but it seems that going to a coarser film might be more ideal. Yea just going by grit size alone 15 micron and 1200 grit is a close overlap, but we will probably go back further to as coarse as a 74 micron film. It seem the films are a bit 'kinder' on ceramics. Note that mostly heavy duty films will be used. Now one could theorize that it is the difference in the dot pattern of the Atomas or the nature of the binding substrate. It may even be differences in different ceramic knives too. Or some combo of all of the above.

Excellent work!

And yes natural and synthetic stones will not work on ceramics and at best can dull the edge.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:07 pm 

Diamond is harder than ceramic. Synthetics & rocks just aren't hard enough to sharpen ceramic.

That's good to know. I was always under the impression that ceramic knives couldn't be sharpened.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:09 am 

A year or two ago I ordered a $19 ceramic kitchen knife from an ad on TV. It came DULL. I have tried to sharpen it with DMT stones extra-coarse thru extra-fine. I have removed material but had no success at getting it sharp. I've used the EP with the 2x6" DMT stones so the angle consistancy shouldn't be the problem. Is there a difference in ceramic material used for knife blades? Cheap material compared to quality material? Should I just toss the knife? If it's junk I'd rather just not mess with it. I'm a complete dummy when it comes to ceramic knives so any help is appreciated.

BTW, the edge you are working one looks great! I didn't want to forget to say that. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:33 pm 

No you should be able to get an edge with that stuff.

I think that you probably didn't apex the knife on your lowest grit stone. Ceramic is tricky stuff. The feedback is different and there is no burr to feel , so you need to be 100% sure you've apexed the knife before moving on.

On this particular knife I took the atoma 140 down almost to the apex , then swapped up to the atoma 400 to finish apexing the edge. I figured I was there , but upon closer inspection under the microscope I was still a ways off. So don't even trust your eyes and a loupe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:50 pm 

Heres my progression all laid out w/ pictures.

So started off with the Atomas. Here I didn't Apex the edge with the 140 , I got really close and then apexed it with the 400.
This isn't where I finished off , I got closer to the apex before moving on.

Then I apexed the edge with the 400 , and followed up with the 600.

Finished up on the atomas with the 1200

At this point I swapped over to Kens Diamond films mounted on glass. On some of these pics you will see the odd chip , that's from me. The knife had several large chips in it , I didn't remove all of them , as that would have been a lot of work. With subsequent sharpenings they will come out.

So here is the 15micron Diamond Film , a slight overlap with the atoma 1200 , but this is an excellent illustration showing how micron ratings are not everything , this 15micron film is actually slightly coarser than the atoma 1200 , yet it leaves an obviously finer finish.

Followed by the 9 Micron

Followed by the 6 micron

Once we started to get into 3 micron territory , to the naked eye she looked like a perfect mirror. This is where you need a microscope to be sure your removing all previous scratches before moving onto your next film.

Now shes starting to pop ,
1Micron

And I finished off on the 0.5micron Film from.

Heres the finished product

Shes one mean potato peeler :)
I did this for the challenge , and to say that I have done it. I can actually take the finish finer with my Polycrystalline sprays , but I don't have the desire to do so at this point. The next one I sharpen I am going to switch to CBN when I get to 1micron. On paper CBN should cut ceramic , but nobody has tried it yet.

Everything was supplied by ken Schwartz at precise sharpening. Thanks for the help Ken , I was always able to call and troubleshoot any issues I was having.

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next