It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Meara natural stone FS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:20 pm 

I'm selling a couple of natural stones that are forum favorites. I've fallen for softer and lighter colored natural stones, so I need to move some to fund some new purchases.

First up is the Meara from Ken Schwartz. It's a very hard natural stone that cut all kinds of steels (that I've tried) fast. It's reputed to be in the 4k-6k grit range. It left a very nice cutting edge on my double bevel knives, but it's too hard and coarse for my single bevel knives. Price is $120 shipped, including a yaginoshima nagura stone.

Next is a Yaginoshima Asagi. This large sized stone. The stone measure 8.125" x 3" and is 1.25" thick. It's a bit softer than the Meara and is finer as well. Great for use as a finisher in your progression. It's a little slow to build a slurry on its own so a nagura would come in handy here. Price is $220 shipped.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Post subject: Re: Meara and Yaginoshima Asagi natural stones FS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:26 am 

Price Drop!

$100 for the Meara (no nagura stone) and $200 for the Yaginoshima.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:38 pm 

Interested in any stone trades? I have a Monzen Aoto from Ken for sale and I am looking in the opposite direction. It's a soft muddy stone and I need something harder to last me longer. You mention the meara not doing so well on single bevels, can you elaborate? It will be the main use for this stone. The monzen does a good job but I push fairly hard in sharpening and that does not work well with the monzen which needs a light touch and lots of working the mud.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:43 pm 

Hey Jason -- I already have a Monzen =) I'm all set for stones right now and I'm trying to pare down my stone collection at the moment...

I found my Meara to be very hard, so it's difficult to make an even finish on a single bevels. Even when I use a nagura to build a slurry and use only light pressure, the finish left from the Meara is fairly uneven. If I push hard, I get shiny "streaks" on the bevel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:30 am 

I am very interested in the Yaginoshima, however I am in the process of a big move from Michigan to California. I wish I could buy it from you right now but I just can't afford it. If you get an offer on it I would expect you to sell, but if it does not move and you decide to hold onto it I would be only too happy to take it off your hands. I'm thinking that in maybe a month I should be settled enough, thank you for the consideration and I wish you the best of luck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:15 pm 

Yaginoshima Asagi sold. Anyone interested in the Meara? I also have a number of full-sized jnats in the $100-$400 range. PM me if you're looking for something in particular.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]