It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Looking for portable stones for on site sharpening
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark and Sue,

I would like your advice on portable sharpening stones. I'm starting a small sharpening business in Toronto, and a lot of my work so far has been on-site at client homes or restaurant kitchens. While I use Choseras, a Rika and a Kitayama at home, I don't like taking them into the field, so for on-site I've been using a Norton 1000/4000 combo stone and a DMT C/CX . The Norton is not bad, and I love the plastic box it comes in, but I'd like to offer an edge more like what I get off my Choseras at home, and something that doesn't require soaking. So, what I'm looking for is a stone or two that can be easily and safely carried (don't crack or break too readily) and are splash-and go, ideally with their own carry box. I've thought about the Shapton pro but I don't know them at all, and about the glass stones but I worry about fragility.

Any recommendations you could make would be very much appreciated. Also, if you ever feel like dropping by www.facebook.com/sisforsharp you can see how I've been misusing the stuff I've bought from you so far.

Thanks for running such a fine store, and for all the videos and teaching you do. You are a noble adversary in the War For My Wallet.

Very best regards,

Sean

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for portable stones for on site sharpening
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

3 words: Shapton Glass Stones

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, more words...

These are ideal for you. They are splash and go stones. They wear slowly. They are durable since they're bonded to glass. They're light and easy to transport.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:40 pm 

I was thinking about the glass stones. Do you sell the plastic cases Shapton has for them? I see one pictured with the extra-think 500 grit GS.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:43 pm 

I meant "extra-thick". I don't know if glass stones require extra thought.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:18 pm 

I see that the Shapton Pros come with their own cases and are also splash and go. Is there any real benefit to the glass over the pro that would make it worth getting the glass stones and buying separate cases for them (I found them online, but it's another $20.00 plus shipping). How much difference between 1 and 4k glass vs 1 and 5k pro? 95% of the knives I see are stainless.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:22 pm 

The pros will work awesome for you. They are very durable and would be my first thought to the answer of your question. There is not a lot of difference in the end result on the steel between the two lines in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:02 am 
Forum Moderator

SEAN <> As Mark threw out 3 words, I was sure they would be Shapton Pro Stones. :P Alas...

I concur with Paradox, in that, the Pro series would be extremely appropriate in your application.

In total transparency, I have not used the GS, but for a reason. I do own the Pros in 2k, 5k, 8k, & 15K, and they are impressive splash & go performers. I choose not to use the GS as they are harder stones that consensus dictates offer less feedback than the Pros that are still hard themselves. I think how your style of sharpening fits this is something you should consider.

I am not speaking for Mark, but I can assume his GS recommendation was due to their portability. They are thin & light & easy to move around a lot of them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:43 am 

glass stones for extreme portability but both will perform very well indeed. =D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:08 pm 

Shapton Glass Stones are perfect for this application. They take up very little room, wear slowly, and are splash and go (meaning you can dry them with towel and put them away (for a short trip anyway) without making a wet mess.

I bought a small camera bag to carry my stuff around. I even packed my 320, 1000, and 4000 with some soft shelf liner into a gallon Ziploc bag. That bag, a flattening plate, and holder is all you need to put a great edge on just about any knife. We rented condos on vacation, and now those horrible knives at least have an edge on them . . . my wife just looks at me and smiles.

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next