It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Magnitized Knives
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:58 am 

I keep most of my knives on a magnetized rack I made that uses Neodymium magnets. I noticed tonight that a few of them have become magnetized. Should I be concerned or is it no big deal?

Post subject: Re: Magnitized Knives
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:54 am 

Don't use those particular knives when splicing out damaged sections in your 8 track collection.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:00 am 

Alright Rick, it's not nice to poke kids with sticks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:10 am 
Forum Moderator

Although it is fun to watch... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:09 pm 

Having owned Mag-Bloks for close to 10 years, I've had a fair share of knives rotate through them. From what I can tell and found (not much), there isn't much of a negative effect from the magnetization. However, if you ever have 2 of your knives on a cutting board, be careful not to let them get too close, or...<clang!>.
I wouldn't mind demagnetizing them anyway, but I haven't found an easy/reasonable way to do so. You can leave them off the rack for n weeks, and they'll eventually shed their magnetism. But, I'm not sure how long it'll take and if it'll be a pain to have your knives laying around.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

I had a magnetic rack for years and most all of the knives became magnetic.

It never caused me any problems.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:03 pm 

Thanks guys, just wanted to be sure.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

Same here. I remember watching a paper clip or something small move toward a knife of mine on the counter and it freaked me out. I thought it was poltergeist part 2 for a second....hahahah

Other than that it's not an issue.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:53 pm 

Once a knife becomes magnetized it will become attracted to the iron in your blood and you'll cut yourself with it. Be afraid, be very afraid. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:33 pm 

I dislike magnetised racks as everyone says the knives become magnetised which means it is necessary to make sure the knives are well rinsed after sharpening I made a simple alternative wall rack out of pine battening on the wall with a couple of washers to act as spacers with another piece of battening mounted on top of the washers the srews go through each piece of battening into the wall it works perfectly and no magnets (the knives slot in between the battening I made mine out of scraps for nothing having the screws, washers and raw plugs it was a negligible expense the battening was scrap so it cost me nothing when I made it . It would be possible to make some different sections with greater gaps for cleavers Debas etc but it was a spontaneous decision I made to save my having to find suitable magnetic rack at the right price and I am pleased with the result.
If I wanted to make a really good looking version I suppose one could by a plank of good quality wood , some wood oil or varnish perhaps some stainless steel screws then perhaps it would start to cost a bit more .I think Global make one which costs a small fortune 100€ I would rather buy one of Mark's knives than buy one of those ; I also read someone made a magnetic one out of magnets from failed hard drives .
Another idea I have seen is to put battening across a draw and then cut slits for the blades to sit in that is quite neat providing there is a spare draw often not easy in a kitchen.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next