It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which kit should I pick up?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:18 pm 

I am thinking of getting the edge pro and I am not right on which kit I should get.

The knives I have are the following:
global gs8, global g17, global g10, 3 henckels various sizes, 1 damascus VG10 steel 19cm that somebody got me from japan, 1 Tojiro-DP Gyutou , 1 Tojiro-DP Honesuki, few fibrox handles victorinox

In the future I am thinking of sticking with mostly japanese knives, as I never liked the heels of the western knives

At my work kit I currently use the 2 tojiros, the global gs8, 1 pairing from victorinox. The job involves some very very thin slicing of spring onion and we go through a lot of them so it's one of the main jobs that we have. The way I cut is lifting one end of the knife and the forward part is always in contact with the chopping board (I am pretty sure that this has a name, but I can't remember it)

I also have 220/1000 4000/8000 waterstones, but I am not very good with freehand sharpening. I can sharpen my knives on them, but I want something that it will be more reliable.

Hope that this has given you some insight on my knife usage and you can guide me on choosing the right kit.

Post subject: Re: Which kit should I pick up?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:25 pm 

I don't think you can beat the bang for buck with the EdgePro Essential set. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edproesset.html
Has all you need to get started, has the Shapton Glass stones, and you can add accessories and stones as needed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:53 am 

Isn't the jump from 1000 to 4000 grit a bit high though?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:24 am 
Forum Moderator

TOUFAS <> It simply takes more time. For example, if it takes a 2K stone 60 seconds to refine out a 1K scratch pattern, it will take a 4K stone 120 seconds to do the same. These time estimates are arbitrary to make my point.

All I will add regarding stones - is this: since you have so much soft steel & therefore have no need to go above 2K on them (i.e., your globals, forschners, & henkels), you might consider adding a 2K. But not for the original reason you posed, your soft steel simply won't benefit from a 4K edge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:12 pm 

The shaptons cut very very fast. But you would.benefit from a 2k glass stone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:46 pm 

What about the kit #4 or the chosera?
The first one is not that "clear" to me as I dont understand the tapes function, and the 2nd one looks that it would be a better investement

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:54 pm 

Anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:13 pm 

The 3K and 6K tapes at 3u and 1u respectively will take your level of polish past the 4K Shapton GS. Not at all necessary for a kitchen knife, especially with softer steel, but fun to play with. The edge will look like a Tiffany platinum engagement ring.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:19 pm 

So still the best choice is the edge pro essential and maybe pick up some tapes along that so I can show off?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:53 am 

You will need a stone flattener for the Shaptons. The DMT XXC is popular, but you can get by with this:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html

If you plan on heavy reprofiling, the Atoma 140 for the EP is where it's at.

Also, I'm a huge proponent of the Angle Cube for repeatability.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]