It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Putting together 1st kit, boning questions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:12 pm 

Hi everybody. New to the forums. I have been a cook in professional kitchens for around 12 years now, but I am just now to the point where I can put together my own starter knife set and stop using those darned house knives(long time coming). I have seen lots of suggestions on other forums that the 3 knives that somebody should start with are: a paring knife, a gyuto/french chef, and a petty/boning knife. I am also going to purchase a sujihiki, as I work at a college cafeteria and we carve ALOT of meat(200 lbs of turkey on a Wednesday evening).

So far this is the list I have come up with:

Sakai Takayuki Damascus Wa-Gyuto 240mm
Fujiwara FKM Stainless Sujihiki 270mm
Tojiro DP Paring Knife 90mm

Which brings me to the boning knife. I haven't seen a whole lot talking about boning knives and what to look for in one. Right now, I have my list narrowed down to 3 knives which are:

Tojiro DP Honesuki 150 mm
Henckles Pro S Boning
Wusthof Classic 5"

Now, I know obviously you get what you pay for, but is there really that big of a difference in boning knives and does anybody have any suggestions on getting one? Also, any input on the other 3 knives I have selected and alternatives to those would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Zach Anderson

Post subject: Re: Putting together 1st kit, boning questions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

Zach - I think those 1st three are great choices. I'll defer on the boning knife - I don't use one much except during hunting season for breaking down venison.

What kinds of product are you breaking down/boning? This might help guide recommendations.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:07 am 

We usually use it to trim whole muscle roasts, such as inside rounds, and to debone things like pork shoulders. However, we have Frenched and quartered chickens before and done pork crown roasts for catering events, so a wide variety of different applications.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:24 am 

for boning i would look into the tojiro dp gokujo boning knife.

=D

very nice all purpose boning knife for a western style boning knife.

other than that, i'd get a hankotsu. a misono swedish hankotsu.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:31 am 
Forum Moderator

Artifex Boning knife is pretty nice and I prefer AEB-L to VG-10 steel in the Tojiro Gokujo. Both will be better than the Henkels/Wustoff choices in terms of taking and holding an edge with a profile that you would be familiar with. Honesuki's are made/designed more for breaking down poultry, and have a very pointy tip that may or may not work for your style of boning. They are also single beveled with one side being mostly flat and the blade ground on the other side, so if you are a lefty, it may not work as well for you. I have thinned down some Artifex Honesuki's at the edge for trimming and they work very well for trimming fat and silverskin and stuff like that, but the edges may not stand up to the abuse of boning tasks after I thinned the heck out of them.

I would look at the Artifex Suji as well, harder steel than the Fujiwara, but still easier to sharpen, and will hold the edge longer.

I am guessing that it is this one for the gyuto and not the $500 from Sakai Takayuki?
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy240.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:46 am 

That would be correct. $500 is just a touch out of my range.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:43 pm 

By the way...just saw the how to ask sticky

1. Are you right handed? Righty
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) Answered above
3. What size knife are you looking for? Also answered above
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Stainless as with the cafeteria setting there is no guarantee I can properly clean the knife right away or that some college student employee won't break or chip it
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Doesn't really matter to me, I employ a pinch grip with chef/gyoto knives and sort of a pointer grip when boning/trimming
6. How much did you want to spend? My limit is $450-500 for the 4 knives
7. Do you know how to sharpen? I know the basics, our exec has a 3 sided diamond sharpening tool that he gave me permission to use, I will be purchasing the clip on sharpening guides to help me with angles

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]