It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:34 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 6 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: He who hesitates...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:26 am 
Forum Moderator

DR. BOB <> I'm glad you're happy with your decision. That is very important to me - regardless of not knowing you from a hole in the wall.

My "unusual[ly] quiet [nature]" amid this thread was nothing personal. I spend a massive amount of time here on the forum, but I hold an overtime job as well that has me running up & down the East Coast this summer. I haven't been as ridiculously present, as usual, due to professional obligations, and to be totally honest, it was the title - as foolish of me as that may have been - that caused me to look past. My immediate reaction was, "if you are interested enough in a Fuji to drop the coin on a Fuji, than wait for the Fuji to restock." Anything worth having is worth waiting for. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

And with that inappropriate dismissal, I never opened the thread... until now.

And now, you are happy. 8-) And with awesome knives! Enjoy...

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:42 am 

Stones, too. The learning curve for waterstones should prove interesting.

Your input in particular, Melampus has been invaluable to me. I can read. You have been there, done that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:41 pm 

BTW, the most I've ever worked in a week was 192 hours. Figure thatone out. :P

I just value all of your opinions and want to reap the bounty of your experience.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:23 am 
Forum Moderator

DR. BOB <> Again, I am happy you're pleased with your order, and it is a humbling pleasure to hear that my input had helped you on your way.

Regarding your hours; I'm lost on the joke. 24 hours a day @7 days a week is 168.

I don't bill weekly; I bill twice a month, and my lifetime high is 234 hours in 16 days (16-31) of labor. That included at least two near 40 hour shifts, and I never slept more than 4 hours a night for those two weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:47 pm 

The joke is that it was 8 straight days in an ER, with a little bending of the laws of time and mathematics..

The knives and stones arrived today, a day early. My wife was less than impressed by my cutting a loosely held receipt between thumb and forefinger. Maybe if I do an appendectomy with the Masakage, she'll be impressed. Her main concern is that I not drop a stone on one of the dog's heads.

The knives are gorgeous, both Konosuke and Masakage. Ohboyohboyohboyohboy...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

:) Glad you got them!! They're great knives.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:53 am 

Robert...

Just wanted to give you a heads up while the knife is still new. The Fujiyama's are beautiful knives...whichever one.
However...they will discolor very quickly if they are not maintained properly. I'm not fond of patina...that black junk that
collects, looks bad (on a nice knife) and possibly transfers to your food. Imo...patina is an undesirable.

Professional Japanese chef's have a strict regime and keep their knives shiny, clean and food friendly.
So, I'm not sure how much you've researched into carbon knife maintenance (ie: keeping them shiny and clean and food friendly),
but I will suggest that you check out this video clip from Jon @ Japanese imports:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tza5pymb5yg

These towels need to be used each and every time you use that expensive knife, and they need to be soft. The wet towel significantly reduces (waters down) the acid's
that are not good for the blade. Additionally, they use a type of powder that they polish it with 'at the end of each session' to keep it in perfect shape.
It's important tho, that if you do this, you need to use a soft towel for polishing as well...so that you don't scratch the blade finish.
I use a soft towel and the slurry mixture from my Belgian Blue Whetstone that works very well...plus it's non chemical, which I like.

Anyhow, I thought I'd give a heads up to yourself and anyone else that's recently purchased an expensive carbon knife, and wants to keep it looking nice and new...and healthy....
before you start to let it excessively patina (at which point it becomes alot harder to get rid of).

Cheers...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:09 am 

The box edge of the Masakage seems a bit sharper than the Konosuke, which is really saying something. Not that I have cut anything of significance, just some cucumbers and strawberries - and yes, I was (am) fastidious about maintenance.

The only problem so far is that the saya doesn't fit. Suggestions?

And please, guys, "Robert" is on my licenses and diplomas, and what my mother called me when she was mad at me (or "your son" to my father, followed by, "What did he do now?"). It's "Bob" or "Dr. Bob". Or Jnani, one of the hundreds of Hindu gods, meaning "the knowledge bearer".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:27 am 

:) Fair enough...

"The box edge of the Masakage seems a bit sharper than the Konosuke, which is really saying something."

Actually, this is not really saying anything at all...to me. I'm sure the sharpener/polisher knows it can be sharper. Which knife performs better and feels better when used, says more to me.
(And which knife shows better workmanship...)

My saya was too big length wise (probably like yours)...and a little height wise. I don't mind a bit of movement height wise.
...and length wise really isn't a big deal imo, as long as it's protected from other steel. It's almost as though the saya was meant for a 270...but who knows.
I plan on drilling a new hole to tighten it up a bit...but with still a little movement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:41 am 
Forum Moderator

DR. BOB <> If you want a glove for a saya, you have to order a custom. Konosuke sayas are nothing special, but they work.

Page 4 of 6 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next